How safe is it to cycle alone on R304 to Stellenbosch

Velo Racer

I cycle alone on a saturday between 7am and 9am and normally head to Stellenbosch from Kuilsriver, via Bottelry, R304 through Stellenbosch to top of Hellshoogte and back.. How safe it is to cycle alone past Kyamandi and Cloetesville?

I have cycled there quite a lot in the past, but due to the handful of incidents there in the last year or two, I find myself avoiding the area.

I think during the day 9am-5pm, it is probably OK, but I will not even think about it personally if there are no other people / traffic around.

The problem is not the R304, but Kayamandi.

That's my 2c.

Go back to posts made in the past of attacks in that area (plenty). I used to live in Stellenbosch and always avoided Kayamandi.

Instead of turning right into the Stellenbosch/Klipheuwel rd from Bottelary, rather go straight to the R44 and then turn right to Stellenbosch so as to avoid Kayamandi. Return to Kuilsriver via the same route or via Polkadraai rd.

Friend of mine almost got mugged on the other side of cloetesville at 6:20pm so don't now if there is really a safe time of day. The Tik koppe are always looking for a nice shiny bike to steal

When I cycle alone, I go over Devonvalley, rather than past Kayamandi or Cloetesville...its also a nice climb to stretch the leggs for Hells :thumbup: and yes you can do it with your road bike :thumbup:

When I cycle alone, I go over Devonvalley, rather than past Kayamandi or Cloetesville...its also a nice climb to stretch the leggs for Hells :thumbup: and yes you can do it with your road bike :thumbup:

Are you talking about the Devonvalley Road branching off from Bottelary Road? Can you ride through to Stellenbosch with it - I was under the impression it is a dead end road?

Are you talking about the Devonvalley Road branching off from Bottelary Road? Can you ride through to Stellenbosch with it - I was under the impression it is a dead end road?

Jip that's the one, its a tar road with a small section of very hard gravel (about 200m). there is a gate at JC Le Roux which in recent times have been seldom locked- but if it is you just use the pedestrain gate a bit further up. It is a very scenic route and you will eventually after about 8km from the JC le Roux property linkup again with Polka draai rd- the climb is about 100m vertical ascent.

Reg_Lizard. I didnt know I can go that route to Stellies. I'll definately try that.

Polkadraai is closed to cyclists at the moment. Road works.

Here is a map showing the route and where the gate is, as well as a pic of the road you have to take to your left once your over the hill and near the end of the decent.

post-1512-0-16975800-1383825046_thumb.jpg

post-1512-0-18054000-1383825078_thumb.jpg

Jip that's the one, its a tar road with a small section of very hard gravel (about 200m). there is a gate at JC Le Roux which in recent times have been seldom locked- but if it is you just use the pedestrain gate a bit further up. It is a very scenic route and you will eventually after about 8km from the JC le Roux property linkup again with Polka draai rd- the climb is about 100m vertical ascent.

Ah thanks, I tried the route from the JC le Roux side once and got to the (closed) gate, and then tried to go "around" it on the farmtracks through the vineyards, but it went horribly wrong and I had to literally crawl through vineyard lines with my bike to get back on the route - hoping that the landowners don't mistake me for a burglar!

Ah thanks, I tried the route from the JC le Roux side once and got to the (closed) gate, and then tried to go "around" it on the farmtracks through the vineyards, but it went horribly wrong and I had to literally crawl through vineyard lines with my bike to get back on the route - hoping that the landowners don't mistake me for a burglar!

If you come from the Polka draai side and get to the gate when closed- just walk about 10m to your right and there is a gap in the fence. Go through and just walk down to the road again and bobs your uncle.

Recently for the last couple of months that I did that route the gate was open :thumbup:

Archived