Floating rotor vs normal

flat29

Good day Hubbers

I am looking into floating rotors and normal rotors

What is the advantages / disadvantages of floating rotors and normal

When will you use the one or the other

Is it just a sales thing

Please help if you can

Floating rotors dissapate heat better as the the aluminium centre does not hold heat like the steel brake surface.

1 disadvantage ive seen with the floating type is they tend to come loose over time, the hopes do it. Shimano's not so much. Thats about it really.

As I understand it, floating rotors allow the outer disc to expand freely without heat stress to the fix inner bit that mounts on the hub, thus avoiding warping, that's why they are called "floating"

Edited by kosmonooit

As I understand it, floating rotors allow the outer disc to expand freely without heat stress to the fix inner bit that mounts on the hub, thus avoiding warping

that is what i got on google 2, nothing more

Floating rotors dissapate heat better as the the aluminium centre does not hold heat like the steel brake surface.

1 disadvantage ive seen with the floating type is they tend to come loose over time, the hopes do it. Shimano's not so much. Thats about it really.

Al is a good conductor of heat (better that SS) so what you are saying must be factor, heat is conducted away from the disk, to the hub (?)

Also could be some weight saving issues, making the inner out of a lighter material but then again there are this rivets that add weight. It also allows a vented disc to be mounted on a lighter slimmer 'spider'

I've never had an issue with Hope rotors getting loose but I mostly do XC marathons, not hard core downhill which must put then to harder use.

Here is a good explanation:

"What is Full-Floating?Full floating rotors, such as were originally conceived, were designed to reduce the tendency towards thermal stress induced distortion due to uneven thermal expansion under load..."

"...True full-floaters move on the carriers, this allows them to self-center in the caliper for reduced brake drag and "float" unimpeded for unrestricted expansion and contraction during repeated thermal cycling. The only serious down side is a bit of rattle that reminds you these are indeed full-floaters."

Source: http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:what-is-full-floating&catid=17:tech-talk&Itemid=69

Rotors such as Shimano XT, XTR and Avid HSX are not true floating rotors because the disc does not move on the spyder/carrier.

Here is a good explanation:

"What is Full-Floating?Full floating rotors, such as were originally conceived, were designed to reduce the tendency towards thermal stress induced distortion due to uneven thermal expansion under load..."

"...True full-floaters move on the carriers, this allows them to self-center in the caliper for reduced brake drag and "float" unimpeded for unrestricted expansion and contraction during repeated thermal cycling. The only serious down side is a bit of rattle that reminds you these are indeed full-floaters."

Source: http://www.braketech...-talk&Itemid=69

Rotors such as Shimano XT, XTR and Avid HSX are not true floating rotors because the disc does not move on the spyder/carrier.

thanks for the reply