2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Internal routing for the "dropper seat" ??? I have a 27.5 2 but I check and all the "holes" in the frame are used, only one in the bottom but I cant figure what's that for.

I think that the rubber bung that they use near the head tube (exit from frame) is different, allowing for two cables. We would have to modify the existing one.

So Noli, how would you rate this bike overall against the Reign?

I can get a spotless Reign 1 (2013) at a very good price & heard it can take 650B wheels :thumbup: but then the BB rises to a high 365mm :blush:

(maybe even 370-ish with large volume tyres)

Buying a brand new bike sounds very tempting, but I can get the reign (almost new) with reverb dropper for about R5000 less than a 2014 Trance2 27.5

DB, it is a tough question, because I really loved my Reign.

The one thing I have to consider is that the Reign had everything top end, and the Trance is a much lower spec.

If you go Reign:

You would be able to get a 650b wheelset for for far less than R5k, and could solve the BB height issue by spacing the rear shock down internally to reduce the rear travel by half an inch (matching the Trance). So you would also end up with a slacker HA (probably close to 66deg).

If you go Trance 27.5 2:

You have to spend an additional R3.5k on an internally routed dropper (unless you don't mind cable ties around your top tube).

The Maestro syspension is tweaked and performs better, making for a faster bike that doesn't blow through its travel as easily. The Fox goodies are 2014 (the 2013 CTD range is known to e problematic).

The geometry is more modern (3 years is huge in frame development)

The bike is at the beginning of its life cycle, and will hold its value better, whereas the Reign is a classic, but is obsolete.

In short, I would go Trance...

Thx for the informative reply.

I was at about the second line in your "if you go Trance" when I realised what your bottom line would be.

I read up on the net of the 2 bikes' comparison since the Trance 27.5 is basically "replacing" the reign (& the old trance) & some swear by their Reigns & says the 650B is just BS (beautiful stories :whistling: ) & them some others that says the Trance is a totally wild animal!

That makes me to wonder & perhaps hold back on buying a Reign although it's a good price for a great machine.

If I perhaps buy a frameset & build up from there I will end up with an insane bike for around R25000-R27000-ish

Do you know if there are framesets available?

The thing is that Giant have invested so much into the 650b movement that they must have put in extra effort to make sure that the bike was better than its predecessors, and it probably has little to do with the new wheel size.

I think you can get a frameset from Giant, but be aware that 650B forks are still expensive, especially in the 140-160mm range.

I guess it depends on how many bits you have waiting to be built onto a frame...

The thing is that Giant have invested so much into the 650b movement that they must have put in extra effort to make sure that the bike was better than its predecessors, and it probably has little to do with the new wheel size.

I think you can get a frameset from Giant, but be aware that 650B forks are still expensive, especially in the 140-160mm range.

I guess it depends on how many bits you have waiting to be built onto a frame...

Very.

I basically have a complete groupset, but that's it.

I'll have to get:

Frame

Fork (RS Rev for me)

Wheels

Meh...

Maybe I should just ride my Shova a bit more.

Ffor now :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Got one of these this weekend and very happy with it! Hit all the jumps in Tokai I would have shied away from on my old Anthem. Stoked! Need to get a dropper seat post though. Get stuck behind my saddle on steep/technical descents. Funny - I never had that problem with my Anthem.

Got one of these this weekend and very happy with it! Hit all the jumps in Tokai I would have shied away from on my old Anthem. Stoked! Need to get a dropper seat post though. Get stuck behind my saddle on steep/technical descents. Funny - I never had that problem with my Anthem.

that saddle is a bit wide for my liking.... that could be part of the problem

Damnit... I was just starting to accept my 29er trance... This black mamba looks insane!

Whats local pricing on the bike, is it stocked all over or only limited stock in SA at the moment?

Damnit... I was just starting to accept my 29er trance... This black mamba looks insane!

Whats local pricing on the bike, is it stocked all over or only limited stock in SA at the moment?

They stocked all over. You should be in for about R22k - R24k, depending on the shop. I should hopefully be getting mine next week sometime :clap:

Action Cycles in Town has it at R20 995.00!

How hot is this?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/800/2014/2014_Giant_Trance_SX_275.jpg

That was my first choice, but I couldn't get pricing or stock. From what i see on international pricing you pay a lot for it.

that saddle is a bit wide for my liking.... that could be part of the problem

I replaced the saddle with my old Gobi and that seems to have solved the problem. Still considering a dropper post though - or even just a normal quick release post clamp.

Archived