2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

Pricing on the US Giant site says $2550 for the Trance 2 and $3400 for the Reign 2.

This means that if the Trance 2 was originally listed for R25K in SA (and actually sold for around R22K) then the Reign 2 would be R34K (down to R31K).

I think that for anyone buying new from scratch, it would be better to buy a Reign.

For me (sadly) it looks like it will not be worthwhile selling my 2014 Trance 2 and buying a Reign. :(

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2015 Trance Sx? That is my dream bike right there.

I'm not so sure. Can't just take a frame slap a longer fork on and call it a new model. If I look at the numbers the Reign will be a better call if you're looking for more travel / slacker over the Trance.

On the Trance SX the seat tube angle has gone out of wack and I'm sure the BB height will be less than desired too. Fine if you know what you're after and play around on your own (like Mayhem is doing with his Reign), but that's no way to approach volume sales.

Take your pick between the Trance or the Reign.

(Having said that, let me go read a review or two...)

I don't know about that, will consider it though.

TBH I hit just about everything in Cape Town on my Stumpjumper FSR 26". A Trance 2 with 160mm or SX will be even better.

Reign may be overkill for CT trails unless you are hammering the DH stuff only. Likely a worse climber too.

Yeah...

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-giant-trance-sx-14-48313/

"There’s still a fair old thump from the back if you push it deeper into its travel at high speed, and it can feel like it’s dragging behind you rather than driving you forward unless it’s really well tuned. There’s also flex through the long lower linkage that curves over the bottom bracket, the scooped out rocker linkages and the skinny thru-axle dropouts. That’s a reminder you’re on a toughened-up trail bike rather than a ground up enduro machine as you push hard through corners.

Its suspension and cockpit limitations mean the SX feels closer to the edge of control than heavier bikes when you’re really hammering, but then it climbs and cruises more easily too."

Yip

Please just keep in mind that it's an estimate and lots can happen between now and then. Prices are directly linked to the exchange rate which in turn is directly linked to whether our president decides to say something to the press about just about anything.

The 2015 Trance 2 is a pretty little thing, though.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_us/bikes/models/images/800/2015/Trance-27-5-2-Black.jpg

You like the look because it is the love child of a certain Ibis I know!

Exactly what I'm trying to get with my Reign X. I reckon my HA is somewhere along the 65.5 mark.

20mm higher front end than stock, angleset about to go in.

So I drew up the Trance (Large size) in CAD and simulated a 160mm fork with a 1.5deg angleset. (I assumed a 20mm A2C increase)

The result is a front end only 8.5mm higher but with a wheelbase at just about 1200mm (up from 1176mm). For reference, the 2015 Reign has a wheel base of 1216mm. I was surprised that the Head Angle becomes 65 deg exactly, so only 2 deg different.

The BB height increases by 4.2mm and the seat angle decreases by 0.5 deg to 73.

This looks like a really nice set of numbers, and I think I am very keen to give it a try.

Now I just need to find a nice fork and Angleset that don't cost the earth...

So I drew up the Trance (Large size) in CAD and simulated a 160mm fork with a 1.5deg angleset. (I assumed a 20mm A2C increase)

The result is a front end only 8.5mm higher but with a wheelbase at just about 1200mm (up from 1176mm). For reference, the 2015 Reign has a wheel base of 1216mm. I was surprised that the Head Angle becomes 65 deg exactly, so only 2 deg different.

The BB height increases by 4.2mm and the seat angle decreases by 0.5 deg to 73.

This looks like a really nice set of numbers, and I think I am very keen to give it a try.

Now I just need to find a nice fork and Angleset that don't cost the earth...

Dude.. could you do the same for me please? 2010 reign x with a 20mm taller a2c. With normal headset and then 1 deg angleset.

Purdy please?

Large, btw. Wheelbase and seatpost numbers as well pls...

Cool, will do. It'll have to be later tonight.

Pricing on the US Giant site says $2550 for the Trance 2 and $3400 for the Reign 2.

This means that if the Trance 2 was originally listed for R25K in SA (and actually sold for around R22K) then the Reign 2 would be R34K (down to R31K).

I think that for anyone buying new from scratch, it would be better to buy a Reign.

For me (sadly) it looks like it will not be worthwhile selling my 2014 Trance 2 and buying a Reign. :(

Quick guide: (US price x exchange rate) - 5%. Should get you close enough

Some more detective work and it looks like the Trance 2 will retail for more or less the same money, maybe a bit more, than the current model. Trance 1 R38/R39k-ish.

Worth noting that the Trance 1 gets a significant suspension upgrade and carbon wheels plus a dropper.

Yes, I've just quoted myself.

Worth noting that the Trance 1 gets a significant suspension upgrade and carbon wheels plus a dropper.

"Yes, I've just quoted myself." ~ Iwan Kemp

Fixed

Can get teh 2014 trance 2 for R19k brand spanking new. Yes? Or wait for 2015 model which will be like 2 months and cost like 26k

Archived