Tri-bike advice

Ville rider

So I am looking to buy a tri-bike for half IM and IMSA.

With a budget of R20k I have a few options, 2 options being either a 3 year old Cervelo P3 with top of the range specs OR a new Canondale slice 5 with 105 components. Both would need a wheel upgrade at some stage.

Any thoughts on which to go with?

you'll get way more for your money second hand and there are some awesome looking bikes on the hub for sale, may even get a bike with a nice set of wheels for close to your budget

you'll get way more for your money second hand and there are some awesome looking bikes on the hub for sale, may even get a bike with a nice set of wheels for close to your budget

Agreed - there have been some really good deals flouting around of late

What size?

I see no logic to the Cervelo is better comment other than fashionable perception. For transparency, I ride a Slice.

Both are excellent bikes, each has its benefits. See the Felt vs Argon thread a little lower for my comments about geometry and fit for you.

The value of a new this vs a second hand that is moot as you are not comparing apples with apples. Of course you will get a better deal buying second hand. If the Cannondale is the right bike for you then find a second hand one. Mine is NOT for sale! :D

The Slice's particular design is designed to make it easier to run off the bike. It makes no claim to be the most aero. Although most manufacturers claims on aero are quite difficult to substantiate as there is no independent testing.

As far as the Slice's pedigree:

Chrissie won 4 world championships on a Slice

Rinnie one her first world championship on a Slice

Last week, Victor Del Corral biked a 4h15 bike split then followed with a 2h37m29 run (3rd fastest IM marathon ever) on a Slice (not even the new RS) 10th fastest Iron distance time ever.

So make up your own mind based on whether the bike is the right fit for you.

Edited by davem

Cannondale, lifetime warranty on the frame and there's no better motivation to get you on the bike than riding a new bike! I have a 3 year old Slice, upgraded wheels and groupset, I love it!

Cannondale, lifetime warranty on the frame and there's no better motivation to get you on the bike than riding a new bike! I have a 3 year old Slice, upgraded wheels and groupset, I love it!

They find a way around this after 3 years trust me happend to me and it was not my fault, they said it is normal metal fatigue

Take a look at the bike geometries and your body geometry and then decide which one is best suited. I made the mistake of doing the what-is-popular-thing and battled on the bike, so did some research and got a bike that suits me.