Stans / Joes solution to the solution?

nigelhicks

Hey okes

Help - any great ideas to getting Joes/Stans off your rims? I have just built up a new wheelset and put on my existing Tubeless tyres and needless to say the solution went all over the rim.

So i wipe it off with a clean rag - but it just goes all sticky and now i need to like pick it off by hand!

What a HACK! - and its a BRAND NEW set of rims - so i want them looking shiny!

I tried some Cobra polish but the dried solution just laughed at me.

Any ideas?

Shot Nige

Hey okes

Help - any great ideas to getting Joes/Stans off your rims? I have just built up a new wheelset and put on my existing Tubeless tyres and needless to say the solution went all over the rim.

So i wipe it off with a clean rag - but it just goes all sticky and now i need to like pick it off by hand!

What a HACK! - and its a BRAND NEW set of rims - so i want them looking shiny!

I tried some Cobra polish but the dried solution just laughed at me.

Any ideas?

Shot Nige

Hi Nige

Try Benzine works on sticky residue and wont tarnish paint finish

Edited by Cyclosport

Prepsol is a great product - I use it to clean the bikes all the time. Works very well on the chain and clusters. One advantage is that is it biodegradable so does not burn the grass like some of the other cleaners do.

Also can get it from the factory in 25l drums, two or three streets south of the Carlton in Jhb at a very good price.

Cool - i dont have prepsol - but have a variant ... have tried that and it also did nothing without some thick elbow grease

SO Elbow grease i think it is ...

Beer, Elbow grease, and metallica should hopefully do the trick

Cool - i dont have prepsol - but have a variant ... have tried that and it also did nothing without some thick elbow grease

SO Elbow grease i think it is ...

Beer, Elbow grease, and metallica should hopefully do the trick

and sunlight with either a scrubber or a coarse cloth. Seriously.

Most engine cleaners will work......DON"T use anything course or scrub!! Just use the correct product. Takes about 10 min to soften the sealant and can be washed off with a high presure cleaner.

Most engine cleaners will work......DON"T use anything course or scrub!! Just use the correct product. Takes about 10 min to soften the sealant and can be washed off with a high presure cleaner.

Coarse CLOTH dude. As in not a microfibre. A normal dish-towel or facecloth is considered a coarse cloth. And mandating a high pressure washer anywhere near a set of wheels is far worse...

It's not like I'm recommending he use a pot scourer or steel wool!

Hi Nige

Try Benzine works on sticky residue and wont tarnish paint finish

Carcinogenic stuff that - use gloves and breathing protection suitable for organic vapours.

You can try an ammonia/water mix to remove it - pretty much what it is dissolved in originally.

Carcinogenic stuff that - use gloves and breathing protection suitable for organic vapours.

You can try an ammonia/water mix to remove it - pretty much what it is dissolved in originally.

True... In that case, nige. .. handy andy or domestos to the rescue!

True... In that case, nige. .. handy andy or domestos to the rescue!

Domestos is not ammonia... it's bleach... rather try pure ammonia - which you can buy in the cleaning section of big supermarkets - stinks - use outdoors....

and handy andy has an abrasive in it - not nice for new paintwork...

Edited by V12man

Domestos is not ammonia... it's bleach... rather try pure ammonia - which you can buy in the cleaning section of big supermarkets - stinks - use outdoors....

and handy andy has an abrasive in it - not nice for new paintwork...

Ah. Thanks!

And oh yes - I remember the smell of pure ammonia... PBHS (Pinetown Boys High School) used to use it to clean the changing rooms. Nige, you'll remember that smell!!!

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem