Ride with or against traffic flow? Which is safer and why?

Master-Yoda

Ride Left or Right?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is it safer (in SA) to ride on the left or on the right?

• Left
    • Right

Agreed, it all depends on the circumstances and as cyclists we need to judge each scenario accordingly.

Ah, thats Exactly my Point i am trying to make. You can hear These 20t Chrome trucks Coming up behind you,so what you going to do. Stay left and pray they dont accidently bump you over the railing.

No, you go right seeing as the road is clear for that section.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now it is quite clear to me you are trolling. I put forward a clear situation where your plan is quite clearly unsafe, and is far more likely to occur than your radical drunk driver and you don't even answer my question, claiming I must answer yours first like a 5 year old.

You're moving too fast to be in the opposite stream of traffic, you're not half as agile as a pedestrian doing the same, and you put yourself, your family and other law-abiding cyclists at risk.

So, please stop skirting the issue and using incredibly unlikely events as the basis of you breaking the law and stop challenging the status quo, which was obviously thought about much more than you care to.

You can yabber all you want, the fact remains that you refuse to discuss the probable scenarios that I put forward as these obviously go in my favour. Don't be so offended and say that I sound like a 5year old when in fact your reaction is one of a child. It's good manners to reply to a question with an answer and not to reply with another question. You obviously did that to avoid having to discuss my scenarios all together, you have miserably failed!

You can yabber all you want, the fact remains that you refuse to discuss the probable scenarios that I put forward as these obviously go in my favour. Don't be so offended and say that I sound like a 5year old when in fact your reaction is one of a child. It's good manners to reply to a question with an answer and not to reply with another question. You obviously did that to avoid having to discuss my scenarios all together, you have miserably failed!

No I didn't I in fact did answer your question, you just decided to ignore that. And yet again, you still haven't even attempted to explain how your going to avoid T-boning cars and pedestrians that pull out of blind intersections, with you on the wrong side of the road. That situation will occur much more likely than your drunk driver one, I'm fairly certain of that.

It is truly a good thing you are in KZN, cause that way I dont have to deal with you making the roads any less safe than they already are.

Still much better than being a Judas Goat, leading other innocent cyclists to their death...... :whistling:

A Judas goat is a trained goat used in general animal herding. The Judas goat is trained to associate with sheep or cattle, leading them to a specific destination. In stockyards, a Judas goat will lead sheep to slaughter, while its own life is spared. ...

Your interpretation, your assumption.

Baaaa, baaaa

Your interpretation, your assumption.

Baaaa, baaaa

Nice!

Someone on the hub has a nice signature that is appropriate right now:

"Better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool, lest you open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Ah, thats Exactly my Point i am trying to make. You can hear These 20t Chrome trucks Coming up behind you,so what you going to do. Stay left and pray they don't accidentally bump you over the railing.

No, you go right seeing as the road is clear for that section.

If I felt unsafe in a similar scenario, you can bet that I wouldn't hesitate in moving over to the right. As I've already mentioned which seems to be over looked is that we ride mtb and not road bikes and only occasionally do we need to go onto the road or cross it to continue our ride (mainly on trails). We're not constantly on the road so cyclist here that do road riding will obviously think differently as they're always on the road, their mind set is completely different to mine as I simply want to get on and off the road as quickly and as safely as possible. At the speeds that we do (on the road), it's almost impossible to ride into another cyclist that's riding on his left, reason being that we're not riding where there's tight bends without visibility and we're riding as low speeds. In our case, this issue does not apply as we're not riding at the speeds that road riders ride their bikes, there's more than enough line of sight to see who/what's coming in our direction and road riders don't even ride on the same roads as we do.

If I felt unsafe in a similar scenario, you can bet that I wouldn't hesitate in moving over to the right. As I've already mentioned which seems to be over looked is that we ride mtb and not road bikes and only occasionally do we need to go onto the road or cross it to continue our ride (mainly on trails). We're not constantly on the road so cyclist here that do road riding will obviously think differently as they're always on the road, their mind set is completely different to mine as I simply want to get on and off the road as quickly and as safely as possible. At the speeds that we do (on the road), it's almost impossible to ride into another cyclist that's riding on his left, reason being that we're not riding where there's tight bends without visibility and we're riding as low speeds. In our case, this issue does not apply as we're not riding at the speeds that road riders ride their bikes, there's more than enough line of sight to see who/what's coming in our direction and road riders don't even ride on the same roads as we do.

I sometimes ride this route because its the only place where i can get a decent workout and accent 2300m.

Nice!

Someone on the hub has a nice signature that is appropriate right now:

"Better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool, lest you open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Exactly, debate is debate.

To resort to insults and crude innuendo is a true sign baaaaa, baaaa

Quick change of feet there bro. At the end of the day, go ride your MTB, stay off the wrong side of the road and stop trying to argue a point, then at minute 89, change your tune and say oh no this doesn't apply to us, were only MTB riders.

If you're changing over to the other side of the road, but not physically on the road itself, then that's fine. I do this when I ride to Tokai. Its only for 10 meters and to anticipate a gap in the traffic on a blind bend. I then exit to a turn and continue my ride off road. Would I do this on my road bike. No.

Exactly, debate is debate.

To resort to insults and crude innuendo is a true sign baaaaa, baaaa

Says the guy going baaa, baaa.

No I didn't I in fact did answer your question, you just decided to ignore that. And yet again, you still haven't even attempted to explain how your going to avoid T-boning cars and pedestrians that pull out of blind intersections, with you on the wrong side of the road. That situation will occur much more likely than your drunk driver one, I'm fairly certain of that.

It is truly a good thing you are in KZN, cause that way I dont have to deal with you making the roads any less safe than they already are.

If you'd bother to have read what I've said some pages back as well as my previous answer, you would have known by now that we are not road riders. Man I can't continue to repeat this, you're either going to get it first time or I'll need to start drawing pictures for you to understand.

And you can stick the below comment right up the closest orifice. Do you think you're any better than folks from KZN?

"It is truly a good thing you are in KZN, cause that way I dont have to deal with you making the roads any less safe than they already are.."

If you'd bother to have read what I've said some pages back as well as my previous answer, you would have known by now that we are not road riders. Man I can't continue to repeat this, you're either going to get it first time or I'll need to start drawing pictures for you to understand.

And you can stick the below comment right up the closest orifice. Do you think you're any better than folks from KZN?

"It is truly a good thing you are in KZN, cause that way I dont have to deal with you making the roads any less safe than they already are.."

Woah, calm down there Fido. I never said we were better than you, I'm just glad that you (and you alone) are not here with your misguided views making our roads unsafe. Unknot your panties bro.

And how about this scenario where there's more than enough space to move out of the danger line?

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/archive/conferences/2011/10LVR/Rural_Road.jpg

On second thoughts: if I'm driving my car on this road and I encounter a cyclist riding against traffic, and an oncoming car, I'm going to treat the cyclist like a pedestrian, I.e. they better get off the road. (I will try give the cyclist as much room as possible, but there is not much else that can be done.)

But if I were to encounter a cyclist riding with traffic, I'm going to treat them like other traffic, so I will overtake only when safe to do so. So if there is an oncoming car, I will slow down to the speed of the cyclist's speed, in till it is safe to pass.

I know not everybody drives like this, but I believe that the majority do. And cyclists can encourage this by taking up the primary position when appropriate.

Woah, calm down there Fido. I never said we were better than you, I'm just glad that you (and you alone) are not here with your misguided views making our roads unsafe. Unknot your panties bro.

Ok cupcake, I'll hold onto my pats while you hold onto your panties :)

Now tell me where you live so that I can come a cause chaos on your neighborly roads by riding on the right :)

Ok cupcake, I'll hold onto my pats while you hold onto your panties :)

Now tell me where you live so that I can come a cause chaos on your neighborly roads by riding on the right :)

You can try to ride in my town on the right hand side, but you wont make it far. You will either end up in Hospital or in the River... :eek: