Hell and Back

CHRISTIAAN101

Hi There

Does anyone know what is happening with the race. I heard that they might cancel the race due to the rain. but that they will only make that descission saturday morning.

Any news or updates will be great.

We were chatting about this on the other thread. The event will not be cancelled just because of rain. DJR mentioned that the Swatrberg pass was built as an alternative to Meiringspoort especially for the rainy seasons . You must remember that a lot has gone in to the organization incl purchase of food - pasta at De Hoek and braai in the Hel. Obviously the organizers will not put anyone in danger but the need to examine all angles before deciding on cancellation

MODS - MERGE PLEASE

I heard the event is going ahead for now, "come hell or high water". :lol:

Organisers have two things to consider:

1. Rider safety (flash flooding of river crossings and ability of medical evacuation in any emergency).

2. Ability of support logistics to enter and leave "The Hell".

The second consideration might be the bigger challenge no Sunday (so keep your car keys on your person!).

We're going to have to call it by 11h00 today, but we won't be any the wiser as the rain only starts Friday night. I'm 51/49 GO at the moment.

MODS - MERGE PLEASE

I heard the event is going ahead for now, "come hell or high water". :lol:

1. Rider safety (flash flooding of river crossings and ability of medical evacuation in any emergency).

The second consideration might be the bigger challenge no Sunday (so keep your car keys on your person!).

We're going to have to call it by 11h00 today, but we won't be any the wiser as the rain only starts Friday night. I'm 51/49 GO at the moment.

We are about 18 people going together to the event. If it gets called off we will just make a wknd out of it anyway. I'm taking enough red wine with anyway

We are about 18 people going together to the event. If it gets called off we will just make a wknd out of it anyway. I'm taking enough red wine with anyway

I haven't even started packing. Shouldn't be difficult though. Goggles. Snorkel. Flippers. And lube ...

Its a bit of drive to hear its not happening, tough call by the organizers to make. Lots of factors to weigh up and safety probably top of the list.

I would think nr 2 is the real issue here, getting those big trucks safely down & up that last steep & twisty pass into the Hell.

Can't see rain preventing the roads from being passable by cyclists, you just need to be more careful

I would still go anyway, just pack accordingly, waterproof gear, extra black bags and lightweight waterproof sail and extra rope to cover things in the hell. A roll of cling wrap, cling wrap your mtb shoes to keep the mud out when you ride, haha. It works. If the rain is going to be too much just don't ride, camp it out and make a weekend of it.

I'm soooo confused. Running out of time to decide. Common sense versus R3,000 already paid. mmmmmmmmmmm

Seriously? Is this what they are charging for it these days?!?! I remembered when it was R500 still

Seriously? Is this what they are charging for it these days?!?! I remembered when it was R500 still

My wife also rides. So two entries (1,800 - got a discount from a Hubber), plus accommodation night before and campsite 2 (350 + 200) plus two meals at campsite 2 (300).

So that's 2,650 before I leave. Plus fuel. And then 2 X full bike services (AGAIN!!) when I'm back.