Tokai trails and closures

(Deon)

Big up to Deon for the hard work in openign and maintaining the routes in Tokai. Sometimes it looks like the admin / politics is way harder than the physical work of building trails :w00t: .

POS - my 2c....

1) Your map of leagl trails still shows Rinkhals as legal - is taht he case?

2) Knowlegde is power. Would it help at all if there is a BIG map at the entrance? Something like the map that iRide africa has for Tokai (which need to be updated in any case). That way newbies can take a pic of the map and refer to it while riding and seasoned guys can't say afterwards that they didn't know that a track is illegale.

Most MTBer think they are mini adventures :whistling: and if they are anything like me, they will start with a map..... Currently there is 2 avaialble - the one you showed now and the one from iRide africa...... It seems that these maps is not upto date and that people, if refering to thse maps, might tresspass??

POS - my 2c....

1) Your map of leagl trails still shows Rinkhals as legal - is taht he case?

2) Knowlegde is power. Would it help at all if there is a BIG map at the entrance? Something like the map that iRide africa has for Tokai (which need to be updated in any case). That way newbies can take a pic of the map and refer to it while riding and seasoned guys can't say afterwards that they didn't know that a track is illegale.

Most MTBer think they are mini adventures :whistling: and if they are anything like me, they will start with a map..... Currently there is 2 avaialble - the one you showed now and the one from iRide africa...... It seems that these maps is not upto date and that people, if refering to thse maps, might tresspass??

1. Yes Rinkhals is legal but closed for now.

2. Agreed. It has been a long drawn out process getting the new management up to speed with the "way things were left". Not only was signage and maps required but a whole new signage manual was drawn up for mountain biking on TMNP. The map posted here is the most up to date, I will send Dan at iRide the vector files for him to transfer onto his maps too. The Tokai website design has been paid for and will feature terms and conditions, maps, circuits and trail descriptions, etc.. Parking signage will be updated too.

You must please understand that it has only been in the last year that mountain biking in Tokai has come under review. It forms part of the future vision of Tokai and for the service to be run professionally it needs full-time management and a professional structure, something that has never been a requirement here before.

Unlike most trail networks around the country, Tokai will employ staff without creating a club membership system. It has been the policy of those who have voluntarily "managed" the trails not to burden the riders with yet another membership. It has been preferred that all proceeds from mountain biking in Tokai go back into conservation, on par with a CSR project, and thereby making the activity a value and asset to Parks. This is not to say that we can do what we please or that Parks can give us the slack we want because we contribute so much, but it does increase our worth and Parks can respond by supporting our efforts to meet their required policies to expand the sport.

Dontions are welcome and support from the corporates will be vital to the success of the trails.

post-13110-0-99209800-1384837426_thumb.jpg

Map of approved trails.

That's very helpful

Will that be the status over the holiday period?

I would be coming up Ou wa pad and dropping in from Silvermine

if you see someone creating or riding illegal trails, take a photo.

we need to out these cowboys

No need for that.. it's not a witch hunt but I like your style, if you can take a pic of a horse on ANY singletrack, that would prove useful. Very useful indeed!

Big up to Deon for the hard work in openign and maintaining the routes in Tokai. Sometimes it looks like the admin / politics is way harder than the physical work of building trails :w00t: .

Thanks but there are so many people involved that for me to take sole credit or try listing them all would be wrong. Tokai is only a mountain bike trail today because of the Cape Town public.. there are a few special ones who have taken a beating and made big sacrifices to keep it open and they know who they are. Actually everyone who has ridden there has made it what it is..

For the guys involved now, I owe huge gratitude! :thumbup: