Triathlon ......

JGR

I'm doing jailbreak the short one. Its my first triathlon. Anyone know what the course is like? Route maps on the website don't say anything about the profile and I've never been there before. Is it quite flat?

Course is very flat but can get windy

Run course is two loops and also mostly flat but it get super hot and humid!!!!

One of the nicer courses for a first timer! Good luck!!!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the buffelspoort triathlon entries are open. Its on 9 March, 4 weeks before IMSA.

Would doing a half IM distance race that close to IM be wise?

I am concerned that it could require too much recovery and impact your ability to be getting long runs and rides in at that point....

Any experienced Ironmen have a take on this?

I think it's perfect timing, did it last year before IMSA and it was a great hit out to judge fitness and what you need to work on.

I did 3 big blocks, one before prestige ultra, another before buffels and then the final block before IMSA. No real taper before prestige or buffels.

No long ride or run can replicate 5-6 hours incorporating each discipline + transitions at race pace. Rest on the Sunday and Monday and start your final block on the Tuesday.

I see the buffelspoort triathlon entries are open. Its on 9 March, 4 weeks before IMSA.

Would doing a half IM distance race that close to IM be wise?

I am concerned that it could require too much recovery and impact your ability to be getting long runs and rides in at that point....

Any experienced Ironmen have a take on this?

I am going to ensure that during the two weeks before Buffels that I run a marathon and ride a 200km. After Buffels everything is about speedwork....

So I have entered the half and full ironman - will do the half on my road bike with tribars etc. but for Full I want to do it on a Tri Bike.

I don't want to buy a tri bike as my first Kid is due 3 weeks later and the expenses for that is just too much at this stage. (read: Wife will kill me)

does anyone know of somewhere to rent a Tri bike, would rent it for a month, maybe 2 before IM, to do the last few weeks of training on the bike I will race? any ideas..

Is there maybe anyone out there, not doing IM that would rent the bike in a private capacity, excluding wheels, those are most at risk of being damaged..?

I would recommend you do IM on your normal bike. It is not the best idea to get a different bike for 2 rides before IM and then IM suddenly.

The TT bike causes different mucles and lower back muscles to work. If you have not trained on it for long periods then run will kill you as your muscles will be very tight...

Check the Hub's classifieds sections. There are some good second hand deals...

Maybe sell or trade your roadbike in for a TT bike???

Example... Get something like this

http://www.thehubsa....-tri6000-frame/

build over your components and whalla!

Not a bad option, keep my road bike, buy a tri frame, transfer the parts, then once IM is done, put everything back onto the road frame.. I see HED have started renting wheels for races, maybe get some nice race wheels from them for the day...

tnx

Not a bad option, keep my road bike, buy a tri frame, transfer the parts, then once IM is done, put everything back onto the road frame.. I see HED have started renting wheels for races, maybe get some nice race wheels from them for the day...

tnx

Ive got a tri frame if you want it - I upgraded and am looking to sell mine.

Its an older Trek Equinox 9

Ive got a tri frame if you want it - I upgraded and am looking to sell mine.

Its an older Trek Equinox 9

what size? please post some pics, thanks

Buy yourself a Tri6000 complete for R5k. Sell it for the same after IMSA.

Did 2 70.3 and 2 IMSA's on mine. Including a sub 6 ride. Great value for money.

Hi KingAlton

Size 52 - im 1.76 seat is around mid point

Comes with spare seat post

thanks, I am 1.86, need a large frame, will keep my eye out.. maybe a few are for sale after IM703...

Buy yourself a Tri6000 complete for R5k. Sell it for the same after IMSA.

Did 2 70.3 and 2 IMSA's on mine. Including a sub 6 ride. Great value for money.

sub 6 bike on im703 - well done man.. hehe kidding..

will take a look at those. thanks Davem

tnx

I'm in a similar situation i.e. no Tri bike and don't want to lash out more $ for yet another bike...or frame

Thinking of just modifying my road bike (TT bars, fwd seat post, deep section wheels)

What's the big deal (general question to all) with a IM Tri bike type frame other than the different geometry?

Surely you can achieve an efficient / comfortable TT position on a road bike with a few mods to the bars and seat set up?