Handlebar widths

camelman

Definitely try them out for a while.. don't cut too soon.. you can't glue those offcuts back!

I made that mistake..

The wife is 1.58 (about) ... and rides a Ladies specific geometry Small ....

Her old bike had 710's but she wanted wider as she was holding on the edges of the bars all the time ...

So the new bike has 730's

Just bought the lady in my life an Epic Expert 29r. She is 1.63 and rides a small. What handlebar widths do people out there ride. She has a Syntace Duraflite 640mm/8deg on her Scott Scale and it seems ok. The handlebar on the Epic is a 700mm. Do we go up to 700 or go down to the 640?

Your input is appreciated. Just add your riding style, height, handlebar width and back sweep on your comments so I could make an educated guess.

I personally prefer a wider bar but I'm a lot bigger than your significant other. The style of riding doesn't necessarily dictate the width. That is down to personal comfort. What size wheels are on the Scott? I have noticed that people are generally running wider bars and shorter stems on their 29ers (Just an observation)

If the Epic has a 700 bar and she is used to a 640 and assuming that you have a set of lock on grips, move the grips and controls around (in or out to simulate the desired bar width) on the bars until she finds a comfortable width. When you find that sweet spot, leave it there for a while and do a few rides. If she is still happy, then cut the bars. As already mentioned, you can take off but you can't put it back...

Thanks to patches for the very informative presentation :thumbup:

It's pretty scientificy and stuff!

Edited by patches

The actual width is irrelevant, but wider is best.

Dont be to hasty to cut bars down. Give them a few rides first and take it from there.

Wider = more control = more confidence = more fun.

The wife is 1.58 (about) ... and rides a Ladies specific geometry Small ....

Her old bike had 710's but she wanted wider as she was holding on the edges of the bars all the time ...

So the new bike has 730's

im not far of your wifes height, im at 1.65... and i think for the style and type of riding i am trying to get into, wider feels way better, i was at 710mm and also holding onto the ends of grips. with my new width, more aggressive, faster cornering is made easier. Climbing on the wider bar takes getting used to tho, but it does allow a more "open" chest for me, so feels like i breath easier.

oh and yes shorter stem... been riding this for about 4 rides now and getting very comfy on this setup. mine are 777mm wide(uncut).

The actual width is irrelevant, but wider is best.

Dont be to hasty to cut bars down. Give them a few rides first and take it from there.

Wider = more control = more confidence = more fun.

+1 totally agree

Yep, I think we might just stick to the 700 it comes with. She does say that the 720 on her Genius is wide, but that is for trail riding and you need a lot more control. Only am only picking up the bikes in 2 weeks though and wanted some input from some fellow hubbers to get an idea. Just hate cutting handlebars, especially carbon ones. Lets see how it goes though.

I am gonna get shafted for saying this: The style of riding I think does influence your handlebar. For XC you don't need that wide a bar as the control is not as important as when you do trail/All mountain riding where you really need to muscle the bike around, usually with a shorter stem, heavier wheels and heavier bike too.

I am 1.90m tall and ride a 720mm on both the XC bike and the Trail bike. However I think the 720 on the XC bike is a tad wide for me, might cut it down to 680-700. Bit by bit of course.

Just put 720 Ritchey Trail ones on my XTC Hard Tail. They are great, but get caught everywhere

learn to ride properly and this wont be a problem :ph34r: :whistling:

Depending on top tube length + stem length I ride anything from 780 to 808.

After playing and riding a LOT of KM it is what I have settled with (for now).

Experimentation, trial and error and the comfort factor are the only real answer to this one.

Good luck. Don't cut it though.... Being a woman surely she will change her mind a gazillion times before settling? :ph34r:

Definitely try them out for a while.. don't cut too soon.. you can't glue those offcuts back!

I made that mistake..

You tried to glue them back? What in the world were you thinking.

As other have said start wide, and don't cut them too soon, she will find what is comfortable for her soon enough.