SA Cycling Medals

jkoorts

As a noob, my medals means alot. Every medal symbolizes a milestone reached. Its quite something to have only started cycling in March this year and have an Engen and a Burger medal on my shelf. It does have significance, made not in 5years anymore but for now yes.

So if you don't reveive a medal anymore what next will be on the complaint list? Take away the goodie bags as well as they mean nothing!

I think to make a medal has a cost of between R5-R10 for the finishers so doubt whether not handing this out will make it cheaper.

Why does one person who complains so much about the cost of races not organise a dummy race for us just so that you can compare costs a bit?

So if you don't reveive a medal anymore what next will be on the complaint list? Take away the goodie bags as well as they mean nothing!

I think to make a medal has a cost of between R5-R10 for the finishers so doubt whether not handing this out will make it cheaper.

Why does one person who complains so much about the cost of races not organise a dummy race for us just so that you can compare costs a bit?

Medals for non podium positions detract from 'real' medals. Finishers medals, if needed, need at least to be cleary different from a podium medal.

Medals for non podium positions detract from 'real' medals. Finishers medals, if needed, need at least to be cleary different from a podium medal.

Those medals are normally flat, thin and made of paper, they are called cheques or munny!!!!

Trophy's for 1 2 and 3, and cheap medals for the rest will be fine.

My gripe is the actual design of the medals compared to running events. Some group of people on the runners's side do a lot of effort on the medals while the event fees are low.

Cycling is the opposite on both accounts.

Who cares about the medal if you are not 1st.... everything from 2nd down is a loser. I go to have a good time and ride my bike. I never take a medal, just a waste of space!

Medals should only be awarded for podium placings at Championship events - Club Champs,Provincial Champs, SA Champs or a sanctioned event. End of story.

Medals have different meanings for different people and as 99% of us wont get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place medal I do think they are a sign of achievement or at the very least a reminder of the race - kinda like a photo.

Remember the Argus of 2009 - that was a windy one .... and so on and so forth.

Must say the medal from gun run this year was better than all the cycling ones I have collected

Slightly elitist opinions here. Hubsters tend to take cycling way more seriously than the 10 000 casual argus riders, or 5000 casual burger riders. Many of which just started riding, or riding their Makro game special. To them a finishing medal is awesome. You have a choice to take a medal or not to take one.

I just started riding this year, and am pretty chuffed with each medal as its many first's. Especially the One Tonner from hell. Maybe next year I wont care too much.

Most of the medals land up in a shoebox anyway, I only keep the Provincial ones I earned myself and my spouses Provincial, Nationals and International medals. Shew the UCI Master medals are the only ones that a really really pretty, sleek and shiny! All other medals pale in comparison have no meaning at all, junk in the cupboard.

That's actually way cooler.

I have no problem going back to that, if the design changes year after year for say events like Die Burger

Hanging medals and displaying them are like old Tannies showing of their creepy dolls, freaks me out.

But that's just me :eek:

Edited by Kritzie

That's actually way cooler.

Not really. I have one track top with said badges sewn on it in storage. When I go dig out the Xmas decorations I'll post a pic of top here.

I mean it may sound cool in theory...

I love my medals. Yes, most of them mean little to me now but each one tells a story of my progression as a cyclist. The majority live in my study and I am in the process of ordering one of those medal hanger things for them. The rest are my Sabie and Sani medals so live in my lounge. These are the ones where I have either got top 10, sub 3 hour or sweated blood. My 1 really special medal is framed. As is my Rapha500 patch.

I like getting big medals after a race, but if I don't get a medal, I really don't mind! As long as I enjoyed the race I am happy!