The Empire Strikes Back: Specialized Sues A Bike Shop Over Name

Bad Girl

I guess business is business.

Cut throat.

Moral? Well that's another conversation.

Edited by ' Dale

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, Just as abrasive as your brand!

Sorry for the news, but it's not my brand.

Hope you can live with that.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

I guess business is business.

Cut throat.

Moral? Well that's another conversation.

Indeed Dale.

Funny thing is, I only saw it after I saw a tweet from Tim Brink about it.

Saw that logo the same one as one of the hubbers signature now and my thought was "this is blatant theft for a cheap piggy back ride"

Looks more like a case of logo theft than the word Roubaix.

Specialized use that type of font and logo for a lot of their marketing stuff and is also a very well known logo to anyone who has been to SBCU.

Personally I think he took a gap and try to build a bit of an association by creating his shop logo the way he did and as a listed company they patent most of their marketing material to protect their brand.

I don't think the shop owner is being transparent and knowing how Specialized operate, I would even go as far as to say they are possibly only going down this road because he pulled a harregat move after they approached him.

I don't think he is the big victim that he is being made out to be.

now that makes sense, a word in a name would be odd, but font and design theft is another thing.

anyone have the skills to do a comparison of the two logo's, fonts?

Looks more like a case of logo theft than the word Roubaix.

Specialized use that type of font and logo for a lot of their marketing stuff and is also a very well known logo to anyone who has been to SBCU.

Personally I think he took a gap and try to build a bit of an association by creating his shop logo the way he did and as a listed company they patent most of their marketing material to protect their brand.

I don't think the shop owner is being transparent and knowing how Specialized operate, I would even go as far as to say they are possibly only going down this road because he pulled a harregat move after they approached him.

I don't think he is the big victim that he is being made out to be.

Specialized claims this is matter of defending a legally owned trademark. Larry Koury, managing director of Specialized Canada Inc. told the Calgary Herald that, "A simple trademark search would have prevented this. We are required to defend or lose our trademark registration." Koury cited Specialized's registration of the word "Roubaix" in Canada's federal government trademark database.

now that makes sense, a word in a name would be odd, but font and design theft is another thing.

Checking these pics out I don't believe font has anything to do with it. http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/12/07/war-veteran-forced-to-change-bike-shops-name-after-threat-from-u-s-bike-giant-specialized/

post-13006-0-14972600-1386527077_thumb.jpg

post-13006-0-49699300-1386526992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caerus

Slowbee ,this is just one of many but should give a rough idea.

These are bottles form the dealer launch.

post-4100-0-68095500-1386527270_thumb.jpg

Specialized claims this is matter of defending a legally owned trademark. Larry Koury, managing director of Specialized Canada Inc. told the Calgary Herald that, "A simple trademark search would have prevented this. We are required to defend or lose our trademark registration." Koury cited Specialized's registration of the word "Roubaix" in Canada's federal government trademark database.

Quite simple, it's in Canada, and they have the patent for the word in Canada (from what I can see)

I will say it again, they likely approached him and he was not prepared to come to a mutual understanding, the next step was court and in court only facts will be looked at, in this case the word Roubaix.

However, he knew exactly what he was doing.

The same thing happens in music.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

like you say Wyatt, while on the surface I am with the little guy, there does seem to be more to this. I doubt Spez would just pull one like this, there must have been loads of background communication.

Absolutely not the case. See the actual trademark registration. Not any reference to any logo or fonts.

Quite simple, it's in Canada, and they have the patent over the word in Canada (from what I can see)

I will say it again, they likely approached him and he was not prepared to come to a mutual understanding, the next step was court and in court only facts will be looked at, in this case the word Roubaix.

However, he knew exactly what he was doing.

The same thing happens in music.

Agreed they have the patent in Canada. No similarities in the font, to then look at logo design of a shield and scroll is just totally ridiculous, how many other companies use the same idea? The word Roubaix to be patented is also ludicrous as it's a geographical place, if he had the money to fight this I think you would find he would come out on top.

like you say Wyatt, while on the surface I am with the little guy, there does seem to be more to this. I doubt Spez would just pull one like this, there must have been loads of background communication.

Correct, as I said, it initially might have had nothing to do with the name at first, that is the avenue they have decided to go with as they know vey well they could win the case if they stick by the book.

Mike Sinyard is not the money grabbing individual that some would believe him to be, quite an amicable man, but very protective of his baby and brainchild.

Correct, as I said, it initially might have had nothing to do with the name at first, that is the avenue they have decided to go with as they know vey well they could win the case if they stick by the book.

Mike Sinyard is not the money grabbing individual that some would believe him to be, quite an amicable man, but very protective of his baby and brainchild.

So what of the fact Fuji use the word Roubaix? Unless there is a vested interest, I'm not sure?

Agreed they have the patent in Canada. No similarities in the font, to then look at logo design of a shield and scroll is just totally ridiculous, how many other companies use the same idea? The word Roubaix to be patented is also ludicrous as it's a geographical place, if he had the money to fight this I think you would find he would come out on top.

I am not going to sit and argue here with you or anyone else.

The bottle as I said is one small example.

He tried to piggy back of them and even if he had the money I will guarantee you that he won't walk away too victorious.

I can guarantee you that he would have been approached and spoken to exhaustively to come to an agreement.

Edited by Wyatt Earp