MTB Size

naboo

Hi

I have recently bought a Merida big nine 500 29er. I really like the bike and it feels good. I had some lower back pain initially, but it seems better now (I have had it for two weeks but have done quite a bit of riding).

I read up quite a bit on the sizing issue, mostly in the forums here, and I am a bit concerned that perhaps the XL size that was sold to me was too big?

I understand that there are a lot of factors to take into account, and length is definitely not the only thing, but having said that, I am 184 cm. According to the Merida sizing chart XL for that bicycle is only from 188, and I am far from that. In other topics it has been said that a size too small isn't such a big deal, but a size too big is a no-go.

The sizing was done using a fancy system with lasers and such at the cycle labs megastore in Fourways, and the guy was pretty convinced that an XL was the way to go, so I trusted him with that.

Any opinions or pointers?

What is the TT length? I am 186 and ride mostly L but XL in some brands and frames. Ie my spez road bike is XL but my MTB is L

So best is to state the geometry and what length stem you have on it etc.

The L, XL is different from one manufacturer to the next.

Also depends on your body geometry... I have long legs and shorter torso... Bike shop insisted on a xl to fit the legs but was far too stretched, even after changing stems... Went to a large, have a higher saddle than most but am really comfy now...

So depends on a lot, not just height, leg inseam is quite important.

Why don't you contact the boys at cycle fit in randburg and ask for a second opinion? They're normally really will to help, and they give a great setup which will really change the way you ride and feel on a bike.

I'm 1,75m and I bought the same Merida in a 17" Medium frame which works 100% for me and I've fitted raised handlebars because I have got lower back problems as well.

What is the TT length? I am 186 and ride mostly L but XL in some brands and frames. Ie my spez road bike is XL but my MTB is L

So best is to state the geometry and what length stem you have on it etc.

The L, XL is different from one manufacturer to the next.

It is a 21 inch hardtail.

Think large on a 29er would of been fine for you,... maybe xl on a 26.Varying body types and other factors also contribute to sizing,decent setup should have solved this.

If you close to 6foot and over 100kg or even look it,.... salesmen usually go straight for the xl,.. thinking it will be the strongest,less chance of warranty claim.

Im 1.88m ride xl 26",but get away with a large very comfortably on the trails. :thumbup:

Keep in mind that sizes differ between brands.

Merida's XL is 23" and their L = 21"

Based on your length alone I would have put you on a Large Merida.

... but if you are built like me 1.87m with very long legs, I ride XL because I cant get my saddle out high enough on the L.

Keep in mind that sizes differ between brands.

Merida's XL is 23" and their L = 21"

Based on your length alone I would have put you on a Large Merida.

... but if you are built like me 1.87m with very long legs, I ride XL because I cant get my saddle out high enough on the L.

Thanks, do you ride XL merida, ie 23?

Thanks, do you ride XL merida, ie 23?

No I ride XL in Giant, that is 22"

On the Merida I could still get away with L since the top tube is much more horizontal than Giant which means I can get my saddle out far enough.

Different sizes and geometries between the manufacturers

Edited by Tankman

Hi

I have recently bought a Merida big nine 500 29er. I really like the bike and it feels good. I had some lower back pain initially, but it seems better now (I have had it for two weeks but have done quite a bit of riding).

I read up quite a bit on the sizing issue, mostly in the forums here, and I am a bit concerned that perhaps the XL size that was sold to me was too big?

I understand that there are a lot of factors to take into account, and length is definitely not the only thing, but having said that, I am 184 cm. According to the Merida sizing chart XL for that bicycle is only from 188, and I am far from that. In other topics it has been said that a size too small isn't such a big deal, but a size too big is a no-go.

The sizing was done using a fancy system with lasers and such at the cycle labs megastore in Fourways, and the guy was pretty convinced that an XL was the way to go, so I trusted him with that.

Any opinions or pointers?

I am 1.92m tall and a large frame fits me perfectly.