Through Axle (TA) / 12mm Syntace

awesme

Hi guys

Whats the difference between a Through axle and 12mm Syntace.

The Chinese Carbon I'm looking at comes with a TA or QR at the back, want to go bigger/thicker/more stiff that QR so looking at the TA.

But on my Pyga atm I have a 12mm Syntace, and I like it.

G

Syntace is a version of a 12mm through axle. Just a different fastening standard AFAIK.

Go for 12mm TA. It may be either 135mm wide or 142mm wide, but Both are interchangeable through swapping adapters on the hubs.

Ok, so as far as the hub is concerned 12mm axle is a 12mm, (and my thinking I can't see any way other, it's just a shaft it rolls around).

ok, 2nd, understanding, TA = 12mm.

then the width is applied, 135mm or 142mm, which is most of the time adapters that make the hub wider or narrower.

The syntace comes in how the axle attaches to the frame?

G

Syntace is a version of a 12mm through axle. Just a different fastening standard AFAIK.

Go for 12mm TA. It may be either 135mm wide or 142mm wide, but Both are interchangeable through swapping adapters on the hubs.

I've learnt the hard way...

A 142 x 12mm axle from say Rock Shox and the 142 x 12mm Syntace isn't the same - thread is different although all the other dimensions are the same.

Yip, my reply is for the rear.

Like in my reply, Syntace is a TA, it is just the tread that is different to the Maxle from RS (if comparing 142 x 12mm on both of course)

Not to worry, was actually referring to Cpt's reply where he was referring to the front fork.

I'll prob go with a 15mm front.

Now to find out from the China's which 12mm TA thread they catering for.

G

Yip, my reply is for the rear.

Like in my reply, Syntace is a TA, it is just the tread that is different to the Maxle from RS (if comparing 142 x 12mm on both of course)