Hermanus MTB Routes - Hemel en Aarde

CMDC

Rode there yesterday.have been going on ad off since nov so I've been able to see the developments. There was massive damage from the rains in nov and they sorted it out so quickly. Nowhere else have I been able to see so clearly where the money goes. The extended black is mostly very good but there are a few too many steep slippery gravel climbs which I think most would fine unrideable. I do agree the last section of singletrack lacks a bit of flow but I've found if my overall speed is a bit lower then it flows better. The first singletrack is the best though. Signage also probably the best I've seen. There are a couple of points you have to look around but generally I think it's excellent value for money and any climb up onto rotary way is worth it for the view.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The views from the top are exceptional and the scenery stunning. My personal opinion is too get someone to re look at the trails and see what improvements can be made.

I'm no Greg Minaar by any means but just found it very lacking. Some sections as mentioned are virtually unridable especially the climb to the very top, and signage was generally OK although I did follow the walking trail for a bit because of confusing signage, where the broken tractor is.

Hopefully things improve as there is definitely potential, they just need to re evaluate a few things.

I finally got to ride at Hemel en Aarde today, and was left totally disappointed by the trail.

The guys at the bike shop where you get your day permit was friendly and helpful. That's where it kind of ended for me.

I did the black route which is 32km, advertised as 35km and says it should take 3-4 hours. This route could be easily done in two, as I was taking it fairly easy today. I did this route based on all the rave reviews, not only via the hub but on the phone insistence of the shop owner.

The single track was not challenging at all and in short supply. Too much jeep track, not sure if this trail is aimed more at the dirt roadies on there 29er's? The climbing, just seemed to lead to more climbing, which I don't mind, but when you get too the very top you would expect some decent dowhill. You are faced with more jeep track unfortunately, again extremely disappointed.

When you get the last section of single track through the forest section, the trail doesn't flow and you can't pick up any decent speed. No jumps, just humps that just seem to be in all the wrong places. No berms, just boring in my opinion.

Maybe I've been blessed with some of the trails I've ridden in KZN, Cape Town and even Jozi. This was just lame I'm afraid to say. Certainly hope the R40 to ride these trails is put to good use on major improvements.

The cherry on the cake for me was when I had finished, the farm stall next to the bike shop wanting to charge R16 for a small bottle of coke, that's just completely taking the piss.

Thank goodness I've got my road bike with me, cause in all honesty I would rather ride on the road tomorrow then do that trail again.

Unless there are major improvements, I won't be back, that's a certain.

Rode there yesterday.have been going on ad off since nov so I've been able to see the developments. There was massive damage from the rains in nov and they sorted it out so quickly. Nowhere else have I been able to see so clearly where the money goes. The extended black is mostly very good but there are a few too many steep slippery gravel climbs which I think most would fine unrideable. I do agree the last section of singletrack lacks a bit of flow but I've found if my overall speed is a bit lower then it flows better. The first singletrack is the best though. Signage also probably the best I've seen. There are a couple of points you have to look around but generally I think it's excellent value for money and any climb up onto rotary way is worth it for the view.

Same people are just too hard to please. :ph34r: I find it a great route but then I'm only a weekend rider

Rode the black route as far as the waterfalls and then onto the blue back to Hemel and Aarde both yesterday afternoon and this morning....doing that section takes under two hours of which probably 80% if not more is single-track....well signed, great views, lekker singletrack, good flow on the downhill sections around Camphill....no complaints from my side, a lot of words come to mind to describe riding here but lame certainly is not one of them.

It's easy to criticise but before Euodia started building trails and negotiating land access here the riding was pretty much all just trespassing on jeep tracks on private property and the short Fernkloof Route so hats off to them.

Rode the black route as far as the waterfalls and then onto the blue back to Hemel and Aarde both yesterday afternoon and this morning....doing that section takes under two hours of which probably 80% if not more is single-track....well signed, great views, lekker singletrack, good flow on the downhill sections around Camphill....no complaints from my side, a lot of words come to mind to describe riding here but lame certainly is not one of them.

It's easy to criticise but before Euodia started building trails and negotiating land access here the riding was pretty much all just trespassing on jeep tracks on private property and the short Fernkloof Route so hats off to them.

Not sure where you found 80% single track. Maybe you need to get out and about and ride some different trails. Not sure who the trail builders are but they should perhaps chat to Nigel Hicks about getting some fast flowing single track incorporated. There is potential, don't get me wrong, they just need to fine tune some things. Maybe I am hard to please having had the best trails to ride coming from KZN.

Awesome trails. Have just added some new single track to the black route. Always follow the black arrows!!!!

Very well maintained, it's in my back garden so ride it at least 3 times a week when I'm home.

• 2 weeks later...

I rode the black / red trail at the weekend and was more than impressed with what the guys have achieved.

You can see where the money has been spent and the access fee is not too bad.

I had a lot of fun and hope to do it again soon.

Thanks v much and very well done to Euodia Cycles and others that made this trail happen.

To those out there that are unhappy, what else is available to ride around Hermanus? I would not venture out on a road bike (either to Stanford or Kleinmond) of my life depended on it - too many drunks, crazies, trucks and idiots...but, I suppose you can't please everyone.

I rode the black / red trail at the weekend and was more than impressed with what the guys have achieved.

You can see where the money has been spent and the access fee is not too bad.

I had a lot of fun and hope to do it again soon.

Thanks v much and very well done to Euodia Cycles and others that made this trail happen.

To those out there that are unhappy, what else is available to ride around Hermanus? I would not venture out on a road bike (either to Stanford or Kleinmond) of my life depended on it - too many drunks, crazies, trucks and idiots...but, I suppose you can't please everyone.

I did the road bike on the Sunday to Stanford, had no issues at all, the roads were quite and I enjoyed it more then riding at Hemel the day before, and I'm not a massive roadie to begin with.

I guess you're right, you can't please everyone, and if it's all you got then I can understand how you would rave about it so much. Not my cup of tea to be honest. I was expecting so much more from all the hype, maybe that lead to my disappointment.

I did the road bike on the Sunday to Stanford, had no issues at all, the roads were quite and I enjoyed it more then riding at Hemel the day before, and I'm not a massive roadie to begin with.

I guess you're right, you can't please everyone, and if it's all you got then I can understand how you would rave about it so much. Not my cup of tea to be honest. I was expecting so much more from all the hype, maybe that lead to my disappointment.

I would not ride along that Stanford Road - it has claimed many lives. There is simply no margin for error and the guys speed at 120kmph+.

As for raving, I noted that I was impressed with what had been achieved especially when compared to what else was available locally. Yes, there is room for improvement but it's a great start...

I would not ride along that Stanford Road - it has claimed many lives. There is simply no margin for error and the guys speed at 120kmph+.

As for raving, I noted that I was impressed with what had been achieved especially when compared to what else was available locally. Yes, there is room for improvement but it's a great start...

Agreed :thumbup:

Going to be staying in Sandbaai from 13 to 27 April for holiday. Looking for a temporary riding buddy for Hemel-en-Aarde routes. Medium strength rider.

I finally got to ride at Hemel en Aarde today, and was left totally disappointed by the trail.

The guys at the bike shop where you get your day permit was friendly and helpful. That's where it kind of ended for me.

I did the black route which is 32km, advertised as 35km and says it should take 3-4 hours. This route could be easily done in two, as I was taking it fairly easy today. I did this route based on all the rave reviews, not only via the hub but on the phone insistence of the shop owner.

The single track was not challenging at all and in short supply. Too much jeep track, not sure if this trail is aimed more at the dirt roadies on there 29er's? The climbing, just seemed to lead to more climbing, which I don't mind, but when you get too the very top you would expect some decent dowhill. You are faced with more jeep track unfortunately, again extremely disappointed.

When you get the last section of single track through the forest section, the trail doesn't flow and you can't pick up any decent speed. No jumps, just humps that just seem to be in all the wrong places. No berms, just boring in my opinion.

Maybe I've been blessed with some of the trails I've ridden in KZN, Cape Town and even Jozi. This was just lame I'm afraid to say. Certainly hope the R40 to ride these trails is put to good use on major improvements.

The cherry on the cake for me was when I had finished, the farm stall next to the bike shop wanting to charge R16 for a small bottle of coke, that's just completely taking the piss.

Thank goodness I've got my road bike with me, cause in all honesty I would rather ride on the road tomorrow then do that trail again.

Unless there are major improvements, I won't be back, that's a certain.

I have ridden here a few times, and loved it. I agree with some of the points you make, but I don't see it as being negative or lame necessarily. What I love about mountain biking is the diversity in the trails we have access to. A lack of berms, jumps etc. doesn't mean the trail is boring, but that is my opinion. Sometimes I enjoy riding single track with a more 'natural' feel (if you know what I mean) and then other times I enjoy doing a fast flowing style track, it all depends what I'm in the mood for.