Hermanus MTB Routes - Hemel en Aarde

CMDC

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an issue with the Hemel & Aarde trail...

Every time I go there (which is a couple of times a year), the route has changed slightly. I'm expecting it to go left but then it goes right!  What's with that?? They keep on improving the trail, tweeking the routes, adding more single-track, and making sure it is well maintained and sign posted!  :P

Seriously, a big :thumbup: to those responsible for building and maintaining the trail. 

I had a lekker k@k ride on Sunday.  Lekker 'cos it was my first time out on my bike for ages and it's such awesome scenery. K@k 'cos it was my first time out on my bike for ages and I felt it! :lol:

Awesome, I have a week in Hermanus coming up. Is it safe to ride alone there?

Maybe some of the local's can better advise? I haven't heard of any incidents. There's quite a lot of single track that winds near to the road, so the potential for a bad guy laying in wait is there, but I have never seen anyone on the trail other than cyclists.

Riding by myself, I'm more worried about having a wipe out and injuring myself.  It could be while before someone else comes along...

Yes, it is safe, I ride alone here all the time.

There are some bits where the guys are harvesting wood and the track is damaged there ( on black and red) but all new bits on blue.

The new extended black route is over 60km and about 2000m climbing and plenty of engaging single track to keep you focused.

Obviously shorter red ( 28km), blue and green depending on your skill and ambition levels.

Ridden there lots and safe in my opinion.

Just keep an eye out for the troop of baboons - they can give you a nasty fright.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I are in Hermanus this weekend and want to do some of the Hemel & Aarde trails on Saturday morning. If I'm not mistaken there was a panga wielding chap on the trails there recently, so could any of the locals please advise what's the safety like on the trails currently? Is it safe for my wife and I to ride there alone? Also, are there perhaps any regular group/club rides we could join?   

My wife and I are in Hermanus this weekend and want to do some of the Hemel & Aarde trails on Saturday morning. If I'm not mistaken there was a panga wielding chap on the trails there recently, so could any of the locals please advise what's the safety like on the trails currently? Is it safe for my wife and I to ride there alone? Also, are there perhaps any regular group/club rides we could join?   

If a local doesn't offer you advice here, try contacting the bike shop at the trail head Euodia Cycles. They're a friendly bunch and always happy to talk about the trails.

If a local doesn't offer you advice here, try contacting the bike shop at the trail head Euodia Cycles. They're a friendly bunch and always happy to talk about the trails.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

Also heading out that way this weekend.. would also like to know if the dude has gone.. 

there is a parkrun in the sat morning there, so around about 8 - 10 there will be loads of people around the trails.. so a bit safer then.. 

One of my fav places to ride.  :thumbup:

Also heading out that way this weekend.. would also like to know if the dude has gone.. 

there is a parkrun in the sat morning there, so around about 8 - 10 there will be loads of people around the trails.. so a bit safer then.. 

One of my fav places to ride.  :thumbup:

We have not seen the panga dude for months now.

The area he was in has mostly been cleared of trees, and he was definitely in summer attire.

I seriously doubt he is around, I have been riding the track and no sign of him.

It should be fine.

The fynbos is flowering and some nice wildlife around.

• 11 months later...

Heading to Hermanus this weekend. Any updates? Ive been there before, like 2 years ago.

• 1 year later...

Went to ride there over the weekend, usually paid entry to use the trail at Euodia Cycles but it looks like the shop has closed down.

Are they moving or out of business?  Is anyone taking over responsibility for the trails?

Went to ride there over the weekend, usually paid entry to use the trail at Euodia Cycles but it looks like the shop has closed down.

Are they moving or out of business? Is anyone taking over responsibility for the trails?

cd454db598b0e5e8a2d3452198e3bbcb.jpg