BIKE SIZING ISSUE

billy

I am a relative newcomer to cycling and am wanting to get a road bike.So I need some help from you cycling gurus out there.

I have in the past riden a trekk 220 that was a 56 cm frame and I must admit I felt ok on this bike but everybody said it was too small for me. I then rode on a 62cm bike which they said was the correct size but it did not feel as good as the smaller more nimble bike.(I am 1.97m tall)I felt like I was riding on stilts it was so big!!!

What are the pro and cons to riding a frame size that is too small and adjusting the seat height accordingly??

I have seen a raleigh that is a large and need to know if this bike would be the right size or too small.

Smaller bike will definitely feel more nimble, however the correct size bike is far more important.

Am 194cm and ride 60cm frame

Do yourself a favour and get properly measured to determine the correct size

Remember, frame size is not just height.  You're made up of upper body and lower body.

If you end up on a 59/60cm then chat to Great white he's been trying really hard to sell this https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=21029&KW=ace.

You might consider looking for a "fixed/rigid" stem though.

Entry level components, with a triple chainring.  A good way to start before you decide how serious you're going to get.

OK been on the competitive cycling website - did all the measurements and came up with the sizing I need-64-67cm bike-where does one find such a huge bike I have never seen a 67cm bike advertised!!!

They also talk about the top tube measurement being the most important measurement and the 57cm raleigh has a top tube measuring 57.5 whereas I need a 58.6-60.2-is this raleigh then close enough???

OK been on the competitive cycling website - did all the measurements and came up with the sizing I need-64-67cm bike-where does one find such a huge bike I have never seen a 67cm bike advertised!!!

They also talk about the top tube measurement being the most important measurement and the 57cm raleigh has a top tube measuring 57.5 whereas I need a 58.6-60.2-is this raleigh then close enough???

Jason Ward rides a frankenstein sized merckx, not sure it's a 67 though.

Stay away from beanstalks boetLOL

Hmm... 64-67 doesn't sound right... Are you sure your measurements are 100%? You not wearing baggy jeans or Eminem like clothing? Measure with your kit on. When I did mine it said I needed a 53/54, I now ride a 54cm Soloist and 52cm Cannondale, I'm 1.77.

Lance was 1.78 and rode a 58cm Stern%20Smile
Jason2008-02-21 05:20:34

Thanks for all the help!!!

Will recheck measurements with some help from the wife!!
LOL 

Yup those wife things come in handy some days Thumbs%20Up

The reason you need such a big frame is because you are using cranks that are too short for your leg length. I am 1.91 m and ride a custom made frame, 58cm Seat Tube with a 60cm Top Tube. 200mm cranks. I too used to ride a 66cm frame until I saw the light !! Remember with your height you are designed to play basketball not cycle !! Cycling equipment is designed for the masses that ride regular size bikes. If you are over 1.8m I would suggest looking at the custom route, depending on how serious you are of course.

20080221_051405_Farthing.JPG

and if you find one' date=' pls let me know - I've been looking for a while.
[/quote']

are you looking for one for yourself?

Frame sizing is an imperfect art. THere are more than one opinion on the right size, and frame geometery has changed in the years. Most frame sizing systems use the famous Greg LeMonds formula of inseam x .688= frame size. seat hieght = inseam x .883    However, there is a tendency to go for smaller frames. Also european geometery often has slacker seat angles and longer top tubes than American frames. However, some manufacturers may have three diferent geometeries in there stable.