Tom Tom Multi-sport - Who has one?

Justin

Hi

I'm in the market for a GPS fitness watch. I've looked mainly at the garmin 110/210 and the Tom Tom Multi-sport.

In a straight comparison the Tom Tom seems like the better buy. I would however like some user feedback.

If you have one and can give some feedback please do.

What do you use it for? How long does the battery last? How solid is the firmware? etc.

Also, I have the Polar iWL bluetooth heart rate belt. Do you think it will work with the Tom Tom?

Thanks so much

Yip, I've had one for about six weeks. It's a little finicky to set up initially, specifically to get the sensors to read, but once it's set up, it's the business. Battery life is claimed about 10 hours, though I've never pushed it to see how long it will go. If you remember to turn the sensors off when you're finished training then it lasts forever.

I've tried all disciplines with the watch and the only one that didn't blow me away was the swimming. Once you're moving it's fine, but if you're pool training, every time you turn and kick off, the heart rate belt slips. Also, the stroke counter isn't 100% accurate.

As for the polar belt, contact tomtom support (follow the links on their website) and ask them.

Good luck!

i bought one in dec, took it back for a refund in jan.

problems i faced

1) battery doesn't last longer than a few hours, fully charged, used it for an hour run, next day, battery flat

2) when the battery dies, you have to reset up the entire watch ( unless you plug it into your pc\mac to ge the settings back)

3) couldn't get the thing to connect to the bike pod

4) no open water option for swimming, its a GPS, why only have a pool option??

5) their advertised battery life wont last the Ironman, so half way through the run your battery wil die??

6) the heart rate strap chaffed under my chest when i ran, still got marks from the scabs.

i understand its their first attempt at this, but i doubt i will ever buy one of their products again, garmin for me thanks..

I unfortunately also bought one... I am using it for running...

Problems as mentioned by kingalton:

Battery life is terrible! it dies after 1 and half hours. So if you train for less than that, you will be fine.

Heart rate strap chaffed me so badly I cannot use it anymore...

Software is terrible and bombs out most of the time.

I also own a Garmin. I have the Garmin 750 for cycling and the battery life lasts forever. I never had any issues with the heart rate strap. It is more expensive but definitely worth it!

Well I'm surprised by those problems - I haven't experienced those, including the battery life concerns. I've done about 3,5 hours in a stretch and the battery was about half used. As I said you have to turn off the sensors or the watch will die overnight.

I also never have to reset the watch when the battery dies - seems to me you bought a faulty unit. Also haven't had any chafe issues with the strap.

Have you tried to update the firmware?

The problem with the garmins in the price category is that they are not waterproof. Well, they are IPX7, which makes them splash proof (the 110 and 210).

The battery life of any watch at that price won't last the ironman, surely?

Hi

I'm in the market for a GPS fitness watch. I've looked mainly at the garmin 110/210 and the Tom Tom Multi-sport.

In a straight comparison the Tom Tom seems like the better buy. I would however like some user feedback.

If you have one and can give some feedback please do.

What do you use it for? How long does the battery last? How solid is the firmware? etc.

Also, I have the Polar iWL bluetooth heart rate belt. Do you think it will work with the Tom Tom?

Thanks so much

There was a very brief discussion about it on the Triathlon thread under multisport

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/133521-triathlon/page__st__160

Garmin is the way to go.

I have a 210 and it's great. I did have an issue with the belt though, but this was swapped out by garmin no problem. - great support

Garmin 910xt is the ultimate multisport watch. Long battery life (20h)' easy to use, open water and pool swimming, biking, running etc. More costly, but you won't regret it. my wife changed from garmin to TomTom recently and hating it.

i had upgraded the firmware each time there was available, which seemed to be each day...

they seem to be developing the thing as they get feedback from paying customers, not great i must say, i don't have much confidence and also don't really like the fact that it uses bluetooth to connect..

if you use it just for running and can charge the thing every day, then i suppose its fine, but i was on holiday when i used it and was moving around and didn't always want to charge the thing everyday...

i prefer using my garmin 500, with a 910 strap, it sits sideways on my arm, but works extremely well, i can't use it in the swim, but for the run and bike it will be fine, the tom-tom won't last till the end of the run in any case on the ironman, so its pointless !

• 5 months later...

i bought one in dec, took it back for a refund in jan.

problems i faced

1) battery doesn't last longer than a few hours, fully charged, used it for an hour run, next day, battery flat

2) when the battery dies, you have to reset up the entire watch ( unless you plug it into your pc\mac to ge the settings back)

3) couldn't get the thing to connect to the bike pod

4) no open water option for swimming, its a GPS, why only have a pool option??

5) their advertised battery life wont last the Ironman, so half way through the run your battery wil die??

6) the heart rate strap chaffed under my chest when i ran, still got marks from the scabs.

i understand its their first attempt at this, but i doubt i will ever buy one of their products again, garmin for me thanks..

I have also just returned mine for a refund (hopefully), I've had it for about 8 months. The battery is useless and the entering of information, once the battery is completely flat, is an inconvenience to me.

• 8 months later...

Archived