SRAM type 2 clutch RD

Bigjim

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I could not find anything when searching.

How much better are the new type 2 derailleurs compared to older equivalents, from what I can see the main improvement is the reduction in chainslap via the clutch, but you also have the lockout system to assist with wheel removal. The latter is a nice-to-have, but the clutch sounds like a good feature - how good is it?

Very. Reduces chainslap, yeah, but its principle feature is that it helps with chain retention when stuff gets bumpy. It's far stiffer than the normal RD's, and, when paired with a chain of the proper length, will almost entirely eliminate chains from being dropped.

Clutch RD's (along with Narrow-Wide type chain rings) are many a rider's setup of choice these days. This eliminates the need for chain guides and the like.

I haven't personally got a SRAM Type 2 (I have a Saint clutch RD), but I can highly recommend going this.

my personal experience is, you dont even need narrow wide to prevent chain slipping (the additional security of the narrow wide setup will only really hurt the wallet, not to mention to make u appear will hip to the latest buzz ;) ). I have the X.9 Type 2. Brilliant little device.

Edited by Capricorn

my personal experience is, you dont even need narrow wide to prevent chain slipping (the additional security of the narrow wide setup will only really hurt the wallet, not to mention to make u appear will hip to the latest buzz ;) ). I have the X.9 Type 2. Brilliant little device.

Yeah. When I rode Crow's old SLR it didn't have a narrow wide, and I can't remember ever dropping the chain.

Yeah. When I rode Crow's old SLR it didn't have a narrow wide, and I can't remember ever dropping the chain.

Thankfully, i haven't yet been 'strongly motivated' to get a narrow-wide setup.

as a slight aside, some interesting debates on vitalMTB on the validity of the SRAM patent given the 'prior art' patent of 1979, whereby the narrow-wide concept was applied to chain-driven agricultural equipment. Some rather rabid SRAM fanbois went a total bent about how SRAM MUST be applauded for applying it to MTB (THANK YOU SRAM, YOUR ROXORS MY BOXORS!), and that the patent is legit. Thing is, after reading the patent, it is clear that SRAM's patent attempts to cover all manner of application of chain driven power transmissions using narrow-wide. teeth. bit ho hum me thinks.. SRAM pulling an Apple/Specialized?

Thankfully, i haven't yet been 'strongly motivated' to get a narrow-wide setup.

as a slight aside, some interesting debates on vitalMTB on the validity of the SRAM patent given the 'prior art' patent of 1979, whereby the narrow-wide concept was applied to chain-driven agricultural equipment. Some rather rabid SRAM fanbois went a total bent about how SRAM MUST be applauded for applying it to MTB (THANK YOU SRAM, YOUR ROXORS MY BOXORS!), and that the patent is legit. Thing is, after reading the patent, it is clear that SRAM's patent attempts to cover all manner of application of chain driven power transmissions using narrow-wide. teeth. bit ho hum me thinks.. SRAM pulling an Apple/Specialized?

BARF.

Seriously does my head in. How many times does this have nothing to do with the actual product, and eeverything to do with the company's lawyers trying to squeeze another mill out of the company? Yes - protect your intellectual property. But then it should just extend to bicycle-centric chainrings where the teeth are square in profile at the top and so on, so that other designers have to think of a different way to make it work (extend the length of the teeth; taper them like RF have done & so on)

Brilliant little device, yes I agree. I have been using the X9 type 2 now for a while on 2 bikes and its great.

Chain slap reduced, wheel removal easier, and easier to work on the chain and crankset.

I dont know if the 15g saving offered between the X0 and the X9 is worth R1000+ but thats the indiv choice.

Should it be coupled with a narrow wide chainring (XX1 style)? from my experience yes.

I have ridden Berg and Bush without dropping a chain once, and then Down and Dirty in Irene and dropped the chain 5 times off a non-narrow/wide chainring.

differing terrain definitely impacts on your drivetrain, so if you are riding flat easy northern farm stuff a narrow/wide might not be needed. Once you hit the hectic corrugated rutted stuff, or really technical gnarly decents, the narrow/wide chainring with the type 2 rear derailleur comes into its own and you can expect you chain to stay put.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Brilliant little device, yes I agree. I have been using the X9 type 2 now for a while on 2 bikes and its great.Chain slap reduced, wheel removal easier, and easier to work on the chain and crankset.I dont know if the 15g saving offered between the X0 and the X9 is worth R1000+ but thats the indiv choice.Should it be coupled with a narrow wide chainring (XX1 style)? from my experience yes.I have ridden Berg and Bush without dropping a chain once, and then Down and Dirty in Irene and dropped the chain 5 times off a non-narrow/wide chainring.differing terrain definitely impacts on your drivetrain, so if you are riding flat easy northern farm stuff a narrow/wide might not be needed. Once you hit the hectic corrugated rutted stuff, or really technical gnarly decents, the narrow/wide chainring with the type 2 rear derailleur comes into its own and you can expect you chain to stay put.
My experiences include DH trails if that counts as gnarly enough: rocks, roots, jumps,drops, braking bumps. the whole toot.. No narrow-wide but just a type 2, and not Not one single dropped chain.Then again, i'm the same guy that has only ever used avid brakes, and cannot understand why the fuss about avid being **** and all. while I cannot identify with them as my experiences are completely counter theirs, that's not to say it didnt happen. So as i mentioned earlier, getting the narrow-wide will only hurt your wallet a bit. Edited by Capricorn

I had a type 2, I broke the XO derailer on a tree and replaced with a X9{the cheapest one}

I don't feel any difference, but then again I ride a 2x front crank.and i ride some very rutted stuff

The little push pin to hold the derailer open is great, but other than that no difference, maybe someone riding a x1-10 or 11 can tell.

we on the same wavelength there buddy. I do know however, that if you ride a full susser slowly over rough terrain, the chain can bounce alot.. :P

ROFL!!! I read CHIN. And I was nodding along, till I read it again and felt like a klutz. ROFL!!!

Being aware first-hand of the added "grip" the chain has on the ring when removing wheels for transport and tinkering with it, I can safely say that NW does make things stick better. The difference is definitely noticeable in my experience.

Whether this difference translates into better chain retention on the trail is a different matter though, I concede that much. I think the gnar-bounce factor does influence things, I think you'll find that there's a lot more smashing around happening on my stiff HT setup than on a plusher rig. Then again, with a swingarm comes drivetrain expansion/collapsing, so it could even things out...

Would be interesting to see some actual scientific data.

MH: aah excellent reminder that consideration of all modes is crucial to a balanced perspective, and in that regard, that there are things such as HTs out there. I wouldn't hesitate getting a NW chainring for an HT.

Li Mu: where u riding an HT?

Edited by Capricorn