Giant Anthem X1 or Anthem Advance? What to Buy? Plz Help!!

DT1540

Hi Hubbers,

I am finding it very hard to decide what bike to buy. It is finally time to let my Anthem 26er go and get a Anthem 29er.

Both Bikes have a similar price so what shall i do personal pros and cons weigh up equally. The advanced anthem is about R1.5k more expensive.

Heres the Spec,Both bikes are new

Bike 1

2014 Anthem x 29er 1

Ali SL frame

Full SLX groupo Xt shadow rear derailer

Fox float CTD front and back

Bike 2

2013 Anthem Advance 29er (build)

Composite/Carbon Frame

Sram X5/X7 Groupo (corrected)

Avid 3 (corrected)

Shifters (only says SRAM) (corrected)

Rockshox Reba RL fork, Rockshox rear shock (only rebound adj) (corrected)

Edited by DT1540

For 1.5 K more I'd take the 2013 Advanced. Haven't ridden it but love my carbon Epic with Reba shock. Extra stiffness in front triangle should make the bike more responsive. Might be useful in moving from 26er to 29er.

The components on the Alu one are better and I assume it's brand new, meaning you'd get a warranty on it.

The carbon frame is very nice though, it's a tempting choice to take that one!

ps, let me know the details about your old Anthem, might be interested in it :)

Just one question, if they are both new, why the funny build for the 2013 Advanced? I have the 2013 Advanced, but have the XT groupo with SID fork (standard).

I would personally go for Bike 2. If you want specific reasons, PM me.

aren't Giant going with 27.5 in future?

They have a big 27.5 drive, but still have the 29ers in their line-up. It is purely a marketing hype. It will blow over...

Advanced. The REBA is reason enough for it. If you get a Giant-selling LBS to build it for you, you will have the warranty on teh frame just as if you had had the bike bought whole (if the frame is new, that is)

As for which frame of the 2 - I'd take the Advanced every time. Giant's carbon frames are very good.

And Jacquers - wtf are you smoking?! SLX = X7, XT = X9 ito parts equivalencies on Shimano / SRAM. So the parts kit is the same.

Oh - and I'd take the monarch over the RP23 any day.

I prefer the Fox and Shimano on the X1, but with the Advanced you get better wheels so I`ll go with the Advanced.

I prefer the Fox and Shimano on the X1, but with the Advanced you get better wheels so I`ll go with the Advanced.

Fox fork has the CTD issues that they are desperately trying to fix. Some forks have the issues, some not. They were supposed to have fixed the fork-dive under braking and in other conditions, but they seem not to have completed it all the way.

RS on the other hand are buletproof.

Advanced. The REBA is reason enough for it. If you get a Giant-selling LBS to build it for you, you will have the warranty on teh frame just as if you had had the bike bought whole (if the frame is new, that is)

As for which frame of the 2 - I'd take the Advanced every time. Giant's carbon frames are very good.

And Jacquers - wtf are you smoking?! SLX = X7, XT = X9 ito parts equivalencies on Shimano / SRAM. So the parts kit is the same.

Oh - and I'd take the monarch over the RP23 any day.

Personal preference for Shimano parts, but agreed that they are on the same level.

Agree fully on the Reba :thumbup:

Edited by Jacquers

I was kinda under the impression that the carbon one is 2nd hand (being 2013 and a custom build), hence my comments abt the warranty. But if it's new, then I'd def take the carbon one

So much for assumptions :blush:

Just sold my Anthem X0 (zero) FULL XT 3x10 for the Anthem Advanced (XT 3x10, yes I fixed that small problem). Would do it again in a heart beat.

Frame is amazing, parts you can change / upgrade. (and will have to upgrade if you ride frequently)

Agree on the Reba. :thumbup:

Edited by TPbike

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info, out of all the comments above we all are 1 for the Carbon frame, most like the Reba.

So i phoned the bike shop again to make 100% sure about the parts on the advance, :blush: Its not so nice spec to compare to the SLX anymore. Its X7, X5 with sram unnamed shifters and 2xcrank, avid 3 brakes, RockShox Monarch R shox, fork is still rock shox reba.

It would be nice to get the slx parts on the carbon frame! and in 29er!

Edited by DT1540

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info, out of all the comments above we all are 1 for the Carbon frame, most like the Reba.

So i phoned the bike shop again to make 100% sure of the parts on the advance, :blush: Its not so nice spec to compare to the SLX anymore. Its X7, X5 with sram unnamed shifters and 2xcrank, avid 3 brakes, RockShox Monarch R shox, fork is still rock shox reba.

It would be nice to get the slx parts on the carbon frame! and in 29er!

Yeah, it would - but the Giant is such a good bike that you don't really need anything more than the Monarch R on the back anyway.

As for the parts mix - X7 is the same as SLX. x5 is the same as Deore. I'd STILL go for the Advanced. The frame is the major drawcard in this instance, and is worth more than the difference between SLX & X5. Especially given the REBA on the front of the Advanced.