Annoying "tick" on Rockshox Sid RL

FCH

Hey guys, started noticing an annoying creaking sound on my Sid fork, on closer inspection it turns out to be a "ticking" sound.

Every time the fork is compressed it makes a tick nose on the left arm, about 1cm into the compression- making the same noise on the return. Needless to say hearing this morse code every half a second is like water torture!

Any ideas what this could be?

Ps: running it on full compression as I weight 100kg, only about 1000 km on it.

I had a ticking sound on my RS Reba. It was the through axle thread that was dry. I greased it and it was silent.

Also have a ticking sound on my new Reba, bike bought in December 2013. Will be interested to know what your fix is.

Check everything else before blaming the fork - brake pads and bolts, headset, wheel bearings, rotor bolts, suspension pivots etc etc. I've often had bikes in where the owner complains about the fork making a noise when it's actually something else completely.

Next step would be to give the fork a lowers and air spring service and get the CSU checked. It's usually only Fox forks that get creaky stanchions, but you never know.

Thanks Droo, i ran through all the usual suspects, checking headset, taking off the wheel and then compressing the shock, the tick is definitely coming from the left arm internally, you can actually feel a vibration when holding the left tube.

Will run through the above options and report back asap.

• 1 year later...

Hello FCH,

I have the same issue with my SID RL, left arm.

Could you please report back about your investigation?

Thank you !

I have been through that movie and in the end the annoying tick tick was from my SPD pedals. Strip clean re grease noise disappeared.

I see what you mean but it doesn't match with the issue.

1)The origin is well located (even with a stethoscope): the noise comes from the left arm, when the fork is compressed and uncompressed.

2) It is more a clunk sound than a tick, concerning my fork. I can even feel it transmitted to the handlebar.

The fork is new by the way.

• 2 years later...

Anyone have a solution for this?

I've checked all headset bearings etc and the noise is definitely coming from the fork.

Archived