road casette / mtb casette body

bobbejaan

hi there, bit of a noob question :

if a road casette is fastened to a mtb casette body is there a chance the road casette will damage the mtb casette body internals?

not immediately, mind you... over time.

Edited by bobbejaan

hi there, bit of a noob question :

if a road casette is fastened to a mtb casette body is there a chance the road casette will damage the mtb casette body internals?

not immediately, mind you... over time.

whaaat...do you have a pic

whaaat...do you have a pic

nooo,

no pics i'm afraid i'd have to take the casette off and then the freehub apart.

but it seems only one of the 2 sets of 'clips' inside the freehub is connecting and i'm trying to find out if its caused by the 9speed sram casette i'm using on a deore XT free hub... so i can exact repair / replacement costs...

Edited by bobbejaan

do you want to put a road cassette on a mtb hub???? Think you can do it yes

i'm sure its possible as i've been riding like that for months... its just going pear shaped on me now...

R250-350 for a new free hub is one thing

but a new casette is another.

a cassette is a cassette.

the road cassette will have far fewer cogs on its granny sprockets, so your climbing experience will be quite different. If it fits the splines of the mtb freehub body, then it can be used. Campy is diff to Sram/Shimano. only thing that will affect the bearings inside the freehub body could be water and dust/dirt.

Shimano and SRAM have the same spline pattern, and it's the same for road and MTB. The only difference with a road cassette is that there's less range.

a cassette is a cassette.

the road cassette will have far fewer cogs on its granny sprockets, so your climbing experience will be quite different. If it fits the splines of the mtb freehub body, then it can be used. Campy is diff to Sram/Shimano. only thing that will affect the bearings inside the freehub body could be water and dust/dirt.

must be dust/mud/water damage then, seeing as the problem only cropped up since that week of rain we had last month, seems one of the clips inside the freehub isn't connecting to the freehub outer body... makes it **** to pedal when you lose half of the power on each stroke.

must be dust/mud/water damage then, seeing as the problem only cropped up since that week of rain we had last month, seems one of the clips inside the freehub isn't connecting to the freehub outer body... makes it **** to pedal when you lose half of the power on each stroke.

I am taking a flyer here, but I don't think its your cassette or freehub body....look at your pawls, if there is a slip they are normally the culprit

DT-swiss or Easton's by any chance with a round metal ring keeping the pawls proud

I am taking a flyer here, but I don't think its your cassette or freehub body....look at your pawls, if there is a slip they are normally the culprit

DT-swiss or Easton's by any chance with a round metal ring keeping the pawls proud

you lost me there. :blink:

what are 'pawls' ?

you lost me there. :blink:

what are 'pawls' ?

Inside your freewheel(the thing you slot the cassette over on the backwheel) there are pawls...they engage(bite against the hub) only in one direction...this enables you to freewheel(wheel keeps on turning eventhough you stopped pedalling)

They sometimes make a loud click sound(like hope hubs) or soft(like am classics as an example). When you spin your backwheel you will hear a tick tick tick tick tick tick tick sound...that is your pawls engaging. When you start pedalling, the pawl will engage, allowing you to transfer the power generated by your legs.

Now if they are not proud, they don't engage the hub and the nett result feels like a slip in the cassette, cause it makes a racket when the chain slips on it, meanwhile back at the ranch its the pawl that is to blame. Now there isn't a standard ito pawl spring mechanisms so some work with their own individual little spring, some work on metal o-clip that goes around the whole freewheel. My money is on one of those springs or the whole o-clip spring giving you hassles

what hubs are they...what wheels do you have

Edited by rouxtjie

Inside your freewheel(the thing you slot the cassette over on the backwheel) there are pawls...they engage(bite against the hub) only in one direction...this enables you to freewheel(wheel keeps on turning eventhough you stopped pedalling)

They sometimes make a loud click sound(like hope hubs) or soft(like am classics as an example). When you spin your backwheel you will hear a tick tick tick tick tick tick tick sound...that is your pawls engaging. When you start pedalling, the pawl will engage, allowing you to transfer the power generated by your legs.

Now if they are not proud, they don't engage the hub and the nett result feels like a slip in the cassette, cause it makes a racket when the chain slips on it, meanwhile back at the ranch its the pawl that is to blame. Now there isn't a standard ito pawl spring mechanisms so some work with their own individual little spring, some work on metal o-clip that goes around the whole freewheel. My money is on one of those springs or the whole o-clip spring giving you hassles

what hubs are they...what wheels do you have

pawls! right, thanks.

pawls are what i'm referring to as 'clips' and you've defined the problem i was trying to explain so we understand each other exactly.

the wheel is a DT-swiss something or other, can't remember took the stickers off.

more importantly, the hub is a Deore XT FH-M756, so the freewheel body must be something in the fh-m750 -> fh-m760 range.

You see, I've had this exact same problem before using another shimano hub/freewheel on an older wheel and back then i replaced the freewheel but used the same cassette i'm using on my current rear wheel and now this problem has recurred causing me to suspect the cassette which is a Sram PG-970 9 speed cassette.

but, you know it took a while to rear (no pun intended) its ugly head again because this rear wheel has done like 1500km give or take on this cassette.

so did the cassette damage the pawls, or is it just mud?

Edited by bobbejaan

pawls! right, thanks.

pawls what i'm referring to as 'clips' and you've defined the problem i was trying to explain so we understand each other exactly.

the wheel is a DT-swiss something or other, can't remember took the stickers off.

more importantly, the hub is a Deore XT FH-M756, so the freewheel body must be something in the fh-m750 -> fh-m760 range.

You see, I've had this exact same problem before using another shimano hub/freewheel on an older wheel and back then i replaced the freewheel but used the same cassette i'm using on my current, rear wheel and now this problem has recurred causing me to suspect the cassette which is a Sram PG-970 9 speed cassette.

hence my question.

I can almost wager a month's salary that its the pawls or rather the spring tensioner flipping the pawls up that is causing it...on some hubs the spring can be replaced so first check that out, some of them will require a whole new freewheel body.

The cassette is just coincidence I reckon, it would have probably happened with any other cassette

I can almost wager a month's salary that its the pawls or rather the spring tensioner flipping the pawls up that is causing it...on some hubs the spring can be replaced so first check that out, some of them will require a whole new freewheel body.

The cassette is just coincidence I reckon, it would have probably happened with any other cassette

cool, so all I need to buy is a shimano cassette remover, bonus.

cool, so all I need to buy is a shimano cassette remover, bonus.

take it to your lbs to remove for you

Shimano freehubs aren't serviceable - you're in for a new one if it's shot. They're not that pricey though.

Edited by droo