Single Speed gearing question ..... 32*18 = 42*22

NotSoBigBen

Achtung buerschen und maedel!

So just a theoretical question (I may be doing some changes again as always ;) ) - I currently use a 32*18 (gives me 3.6 gear ratio) but have an option to run a really cool crank but with a 42 so when I check a 42*22 will give me 3.5 so damn close.

Seeing as it has such a close ratio is there any reason not to do it (either functional or cosmetic)?

Achtung buerschen und maedel!

So just a theoretical question (I may be doing some changes again as always ;) ) - I currently use a 32*18 (gives me 3.6 gear ratio) but have an option to run a really cool crank but with a 42 so when I check a 42*22 will give me 3.5 so damn close.

Seeing as it has such a close ratio is there any reason not to do it (either functional or cosmetic)?

Give it a bash, should be close enough or you'll get stronger.

If you're referring to the Magic Gear being that you don't need to use a tensioner of some sort, then you may be out of luck

No reason not to, except for the weight weenies. Using larger rings and cogs has actually proved to be more efficient than using smaller ones at the same ratio.

is this a commute bike or do you use it on the mtb trails ?

only thing if its a trail used bike will be chainring ground clearance ( those little logs ect we ride off sometimes ) you may catch it .

but otherwise you will get a better load wear on the ring and sproket as you spreading the chain load over more teeth .

have fun.

Give it a bash, should be close enough or you'll get stronger.

If you're referring to the Magic Gear being that you don't need to use a tensioner of some sort, then you may be out of luck

No worries this time I'll just stick with the tensioner :thumbup:

No reason not to, except for the weight weenies. Using larger rings and cogs has actually proved to be more efficient than using smaller ones at the same ratio.

Thanks Nick but my weight problem for sure is not on the bike so I'll just do it :ph34r:

is this a commute bike or do you use it on the mtb trails ?

only thing if its a trail used bike will be chainring ground clearance ( those little logs ect we ride off sometimes ) you may catch it .

but otherwise you will get a better load wear on the ring and sproket as you spreading the chain load over more teeth .

have fun.

It is is for 'trails' but I'm no big technical rider and considering that on my 'normal' 3*9 bike I have had no issues I am guessing it'll be fine, thanks for the info FE!