Classic Lugged Steel - Basso Fior di Loto

cape

First of all I’d like to say hello to everyone here. I’m a part-time refugee from a local fixed gear forum. As temperatures here drop below zero, people start arguing on the internet instead of going out and riding. It only takes a few adolescent c**** who think trolling is funny to make visiting the forum a very unpleasant experience.

So here’s the frame, a 90' Fior di Loto (literally: lotus flower) built by Basso. This will be my first fixed gear project and I’ll be happy to share it with you. I have some previous experience with geared bikes, both road and mtb.

http://i.imgur.com/fgRL6Q1.jpg

The frame is built with Columbus SLX tubing and has a standard road geometry.

http://i.imgur.com/QtejBDB.jpg

The frame has some minor wear, paint chips and such. No dings or dents however. I bought it from a guy who looked a bit like Tommy Tiernan did when he was young. I think it was the haircut. He even supplied a matching Silva bottle holder with the frame.

http://i.imgur.com/w4CvSZO.jpg

I personally think this frame deserves classic parts from somewhat same era. I actually do have some Galli/ITM components from early 80’s in my stash. What do you think?

PS. I have no idea about the informative value of the photos :P

Edited by cape

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum.

Looks very nice. I agree on the classic parts to build it up.

Post some more when you start the build.

Nice ride.

Love the seat clamp lug and SLX is just about as good as it gets...

I reckon Campag all the way, maybe with some Delta brake callipers ...

Keep the pics coming.

Oh and welcome to the Hub

What's her serial number?

Apparently BASSO was one of the few manufacturers where the serial numbers meant anything. Seems the first two denote the date of manufacture.

Seems to be correct, at least for the frames I have, they date from mid 80s to mid 90s.

Thank you for your replies.

I agree with you that full-Campag would be the bee's knees, however e.g track hubs from this era are hard to find and cost an awful lot of money. I'm also a bit concerned how would they last in a fixed gear bike built for urban riding. And yes, I have decided to go brakeless with this build.

The serial number on the frame is 9004763. So the frame was built in the early 90's. Thanks heyyou for pointing that out.

I was about to visit my LBS (16 miles away) for an ITA bottom bracket but it's a bit too cold (-21.3°C) for that.

Edited by cape

Got a pretty good deal on the bottom bracket. A barely used campy bb with Park Tool BBT-4 for 30€.

I ran into a pretty nice wheelset while visiting my local LBS. For 130$ I got a moderately light wheelset with Formula track hubs. There are some signs of use on the rims, but I will most likely replace them with ones matching to the final build. Will post some pictures when I get home. Also got some small parts like chains and stack bolts.

The plans for tonight did change a bit. I somehow ended up in a bar... again.

Edited by cape

Very nice frame Cape. Like those hubs. Wondering where you from, see it's Helsinki. The coldest temp ever recorded in sunny ZA, is warmer than the temperature there today, a frigid -20.5deg, measured near where I live. We're a balmy 25.5deg today.

Thanks deanbean! I kinda want to leave this misery behind and move somewhere warm and sunny. I just don't have the balls to leave everything like my friends and family behind. Picture related.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qTCGx98HaFY/UGS44gI0hYI/AAAAAAAAB7E/18Z0jH6dYzw/s1600/finnish_seasons.jpg

Edited by cape