Shopping List

geemobee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you will be able to live with it buy a second hand bike. Your money will go much further. R10k should get you something okish. Then take the rest of the money you have go to the website EVO BIKES and check out their goodies. You should be sorted by Monday. :ph34r:

solid advice here.

On the helmet side, there's a few people who have just bought those cheap new MTB helmets for approx R 500 or so. Go for one of those - light, strong and well vented. It's the Etto from Rapid Sports here in CT. They do ship them to you as well.

Also - if you're just starting out, and depending on the type of riding you're doing, you need to decide on flats & 5-10's vs cleats. If you're more into trail riding, I'd advocate flats from the get go. They just allow you to build a much better base if you are just starting out, and help you learn proper technique. Cleats will help you on the long jeep track rides, if that's what you're in to.

As for the kit:

Long finger gloves (go to a motorbike shop for these - MUCH cheaper than your LBS and you DON'T want to come off with short finger gloves)

No need for a cycling top. Normal Maxed moisture wicking shirts or t shirts work perfectly

Cycling shorts (your scrotum NEEDS protection) - Endura are a good brand

Floor-pump (to keep in the car / at home)

Toolkit (to start doing your own servicing at home)

Tubeless conversion kits (an old tube & some Stans sealant)

Camelbak (priceless - holds up to 2l water and acts as a back protector as well. Can hold ALL your goodies wihtout you looking like a goon)

Lights (if you plan on cycling at night - a Ryder 5 LED rear light and one of those EXTREMELIGHT front ones will do nicely)

Your chosen shoe / pedal combo (flats vs cleats. If cleats, get some Shimano PDm520's. They're bomb-proof. If Flats, Nukeproof Electron / Neutron from Diald Bikes & a pair of 5-10's)

Other than that - you should be able to find a very good bike for R 10k. All the above should come in at less than 5k, depending on where you source it, so you'll have enough tom left over for a decent 2nd hand bike.

What type of riding are you planning on doing, and how tall are you?

Monday is too far.... just kidding, there is actually no rush and I prefer doing my homework first.

I would like a new bike, should I bump overall budget to R20k then?

New bike at 15k (5k for the kit) is okay - but if you look at new 2nd hand bikes (of which there are PLENTY) you will be able to get a VERY good bike for 15k. Something that would retail for approx 25-30k new.

That's the route I'd recommend...

Very helpful stuff!

Okay here is the conundrum, I will be financing all this through BikeLife (I think their deals are decent enough)

This means, 99% of the gear I purchase will need to be from one store, including the bike.

Hi

My advice would be to buy the best bike you can get now and essentials, like 1 cycling kit, helmet and u don't need to even get cleats for now, and based on wht ur budget you can get away with a bike of 14k, R500 on helmet, shop around for chamois shorts at sportsmanship warehouse sale area or any sport shop wher they hv sales. In cape town we hv velotex factory outlet, panda etc, you really don't even need to have a cycling top for now, as you get more monies you can always build on the nice to haves like floor pump, camelback lights tools, for now your focus should be to get th best bang for buck maximum value bike. The diff between 10k and 14k budget is enormous Ito wht you get, for 14k you might get a 1 or 2 yo 29er with good components which will last you at least 4 years, while at 10k you will get entry level bike which in a year you will change and this will cost you way more.

Remember new bike prices are going to rise due to rand devaluing and this will impact significantly on your 2nd hand pices next year.

Good luck and my advice is to put as much if not all of the 15k into the bike and get your family to buy ur b day gift upfront for the year and give each an item on th 'nice to have list' to buy.

Cana

Very helpful stuff!

Okay here is the conundrum, I will be financing all this through BikeLife (I think their deals are decent enough)

This means, 99% of the gear I purchase will need to be from one store, including the bike.

You would be better off with a bank loan and paying the bank back, as a previous Hubber mentioned in the 2nd hand market you will get a bike for 15 that retails for 25-30, if you purchase new I'm afraid you won't get much the benefit of 'depreciation'. You also don't want to purchase your kit thru bike finance, this will increase your overall costs not necessarily the value, you can pick up bargains on hub when cwc or evobikes have specific item u require on discount, be selective not everything at 1 shop will be good value Cherry pick what u need from these diff outlets.

Good luck

You would be better off with a bank loan and paying the bank back, as a previous Hubber mentioned in the 2nd hand market you will get a bike for 15 that retails for 25-30, if you purchase new I'm afraid you won't get much the benefit of 'depreciation'. You also don't want to purchase your kit thru bike finance, this will increase your overall costs not necessarily the value, you can pick up bargains on hub when cwc or evobikes have specific item u require on discount, be selective not everything at 1 shop will be good value Cherry pick what u need from these diff outlets.

Good luck

Sounds like a good option

Good luck

MUCH better way of doing it. And contrary to popular belief, there's nothing wrong with financing bike purchases. As long as you're disciplined and do it right, it's an easier way to get into the sport where initial costs are super mega duper high.

MUCH better way of doing it. And contrary to popular belief, there's nothing wrong with financing bike purchases. As long as you're disciplined and do it right, it's an easier way to get into the sport where initial costs are super mega duper high.

What if BikeLife offers a MUCH better interest rate?

What if BikeLife offers a MUCH better interest rate?

How much is MUCH, and is it worth being tied in to buying it new from a single shop, where you may find that the prices are 20% higher on the goodies than online options?

How much is MUCH, and is it worth being tied in to buying it new from a single shop, where you may find that the prices are 20% higher on the goodies than online options?

Lets say 8% higher.

What are the benefits of buying new? .. do all new bikes have warranties?

Lets say 8% higher.

What are the benefits of buying new? .. do all new bikes have warranties?

Damn, that is high. But it also depends on the term of the loan - 1 year or 2 years...

And new bikes have warranties. 2nd hand bikes, you insure.