[Event] South African Bicycle Builders Exhibition

Bicycle Portraits

Event Name: South African Bicycle Builders Exhibition
When: 6 February 2014 - 10 March 2014
Where: SAM, 107 Bree Street, Cape Town., Western Cape
Category: Multisport

South African Bicycle Builders

An exhibition of locally built bicycle frames

Most people, even South African bicycle enthusiasts, don't know that we used to have a burgeoning local frame building movement. Le Jeune, Alpina, Hansom, Du Toit - to name a few - are very commonly seen vintage brands on South Africa's roads, and all share a proud locally-built heritage. There are even a few obscure and very collectable high-end frames out there. But the frame-building movement slowly dissolved in the 1980's, and it's only now, with the pervasive popularity of bicycling and the new enthusiasm for old steel frames, that these classics are being rediscovered. People are falling in love with the traditional bicycle-building material again - it's authentic and historic, and possesses the famed & feel of steel. This small exhibition will showcase a number of these classic bicycles that come from the private collections of a few South African friends - some are ridden daily, others only on Sundays, some are displayed on walls like the artworks they are, and they are all loved.

____

We would like to call on TheHubSA members that can help in some way to send us some contact details for / information on / photographs of the frame builders if they have.

Please forward all contact information to nic@bicycleportraits.org

_____

The current list of bicycle frames available to us and in consideration for exhibition:

De Lange - Restored Racer

Du Toit - Original Track

Du Toit - Ladies Touring

Du Toit - Tandem

Le Jeune - Racer

Le Jeune - Mixed MTB

Peter Allan - Original High end racer

Hansom Track

Hansom Tandem

Le Turbo - Racer

Alpina - racer, frame only

Alpina - racer, bent frame

Alpina - racer (grey frame only * very nice)

Cosmos - Racer

Produx - Green Racer

DHC - Fake racer (possibly a Claud Butler)

Mercer - Mountain bike

______

List of bicycles we do not have (but might consider including if they are available in Cape Town for the whole duration of exhibition)

Macintosh

Lotus, Victoria

Pettini / Gemini (Linden Cycles)

Avenue

Exocet

Sancini

Zini

Griffin

______

The builders we still would like contact details for

Bill de Lange

Gotty Hansen

John Freeman

P Bloch

Bill Griffith

Gary Koen

Peter Wheeler

_____

Thanks, hope to see you there!

Nic & Stan

Go to Event Page

It is a wonderful idea. I'll bring Team DJR to come and have a look and learn something about their proudly South African cycling heritage. :clap:

It is a wonderful idea. I'll bring Team DJR to come and have a look and learn something about their proudly South African cycling heritage. :clap:

ooh, take me, take me :w00t:

please take loads of pictures and post here on the hub for us Djo-anna's-berger's and other province not being able to visit this event.

Good to hear some of the current young builders will be involved too. :thumbup: Don't forget the Salvo guys please!

Awesome, I think I'll have to make a plan.

My first race bike was a Hansom and my Mom had a custom made Du Toit

Gotti's contact details are 011 9760187 or 0824612813

Fantastic idea, wish I lived in CA. I have a couple of the bikes you'r missing, but, alas, won't be able to come to the show.

I have a Willie Marx built frame, he's in George, Willie Marx Cycles

044 8746470

Great thanks Heyyou! If you have a gap please send us a picture of those bikes for interest sake, would love to see them - info@bicycleportraits.co.za

a bit off topic but my dad had a 'cycle star' in the 80's......it was locally made but dont know much more than that.....any idea?

will definitely come check out the exhibition....

Rock - Cycle star! Never seen one of those... If you have an old photo would love to see! - info@bicycleportraits.co.za

See you at the Exhibition!

Archived