10spd Cassette loose on Freehub body

worriesnot

Hey guys...

Need some expert help here as Dr Google is not giving any joy.

After a few hectically muddy rides over the last few weeks, and excessive Karcher time (I know, I know...), decided to last night strip the back wheel, clean cassette and hub and re-pack with grease.

All this went down fairly smoothly but after I assembled the cassette back onto the freehub body and tightened the lock ring, there is a wobble/looseness between the freehub body and cassette as if the splines are worn - similar to in this video:

Dr Google results reckon I need to install a spacer but I can't recall a spacer coming off when I stripped the wheel. There were also no parts left over after assembly.

Now the cassette in question is this one:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/CS/EV-CS-HG62-10-3197B_v1_m56577569830820588.pdf

This shows no spacer is required for the assembly...?

Any ideas???

Was thinking of replacing the lock ring and 11T sprocket.

Admittedly I did not check if there was a wobble before taking everything apart so don't know if it was like this before.

Take the cassette off and check if there is a wobble on the freehub. Also check that the cassette hasn't eaten into the freehub like this one:

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/aluminum-body.jpg

Thanks Jacquers.

There is no wobble on the freehub - looseness is definitely between cassette and freehub.

Also; the hub body is in very good condition

I had a similar problem, there was a very thin metal spacer/washer/shim thing on mine that I did not put back and that gave the cassette some play on the freehub body. It went onto the splines after the cassette and before the lockring.

Edited by Mojoman

I had a similar problem, there was a very thin metal spacer/washer/shim thing on mine that I did not put back and that gave the cassette some play on the freehub body. It went onto the splines after the cassette and before the lockring.

Yes I saw that after cleaning the lock ring and made sure it went back on.

I think an additional spacer / shim could do the trick... will give it a shot.

Go to your LBS and ask for a thin spacer.

What he said .

is it a alloy body ? if so what sometimes happens is it eats into the backstop of the body ( the flanged part close to the spokes ) . you should have a thin steel spacer there . if not fit one and refit the cassette .

im not saying this is your problem but it sounds to be the case .

By your video I would suggest replacing the bearings in the free hub body as those look shot. To me there is no play in the cassette itself if the cassette were loose you would be able to move individual sprockets. Take the cassette off and try moving the freehub body as though it had a cassette on it i.e. side to side. the same play will be there I'll put money on it...PLUS the fact that you admit to using a pressure washer tells me the bearings are gone...

Are you sure you have not put the spacer inadvertently between cogs on the cassette - you will see a slightly bigger gap between the cogs - but strip it apart and check again is the best way to see.

Spacer did bupkiss...

I fiddled with the freehub and axle lock nuts, somehow reducing play, and magically all is okay now. :clap:

I am not going to strip it again or try and figure out what happened - it is fine now. Wheel spins sweetly with new grease and going for a ride tomorrow morning that will ultimately show if I did a good job or not.

Thanks for the advice all! :thumbup: