The Classics

T-Bob

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The closer the riders move to the coast the more the wind picks up. It's early days but this San Remo has all the makings of another epic edition.

Reports are in that Jose Joaquin Rojas has abandoned the race. He's the first high profile rider out of the race, although it was of course confirmed that 2012 race winner Simon Gerrans wouldn't start due to illness.

The leaders are coming up the feedzone. They've been on the attack since almost the start of the race but with 165km still to go, there's a lot of racing to play out. The leaders in the peloton will be happy with how things have gone so far - weather aside - but once we hit the coast the chase will gradually begin.

Reports are in that Jose Joaquin Rojas has abandoned the race. He's the first high profile rider out of the race, although it was of course confirmed that 2012 race winner Simon Gerrans wouldn't start due to illness.

Apparently he crashed in the neutral zone.

"They say Milan-San Remo is a lottery but do you know many who, like me, won the jackpot seven times with the same winning ticket?"

Eddy Merckx

It's the Cannondale team of Peter Sagan who set a fast pace in the peloton going over the top of the Turchino pass. In fact, around 30 riders have been blown off the back so a first selection is being made ahead of the windy coastal roads.

The leaders have reached the coast. 140km to go.

The lead has dropped now to just under 7 min.

Cannondale are in the drivers seat.

With a headwind all the way home from here, not much chance of the breakaway succeeding even to the Cipressa.

First bit of action for the favourites, with Sagan suffering a mechanical. He's back with the bunch within just a couple of minutes though.

We're into the final 100km with the peloton on the coast now. Steady rain and a buffering wind as Cannondale set the pace.