Tubeless tires

Maximis

Hi guys

Quick noob question

I'm building up a 2nd wheel set for a ss project. I'm using jalco rims ( these came off a merida big nine tfs 300 ). They had crossmarks non ust tires that I ran with tubes. I have now bought crossmark lust tires so I can run a tubeless setup.

Question is what prep do I need to do to the rim to get it tubeless ready? I know you get the rim tape and the valves, but do I have to do the whole rubber rim strip thing or can I just go with the tape? I have the Stan's sealant but nothing else just yet.

I know this may have been brought up before but easier this way...

Thanks

My B-H has the same bike (Merida) and wheel set-up (Jalco). Very reliable. Run Continental X-King as tubeless option. Rim tape, tubeless valves and (normal) sealant......that's all for this conversion. Only problem experienced was that you have to make sure that the tyre seats well.

Note: If you hear those "sealant marbles" running around in the tyre, you are mocking fate.

Good luck.

post-41755-0-40834100-1391449726_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

Quick noob question

I'm building up a 2nd wheel set for a ss project. I'm using jalco rims ( these came off a merida big nine tfs 300 ). They had crossmarks non ust tires that I ran with tubes. I have now bought crossmark lust tires so I can run a tubeless setup.

Question is what prep do I need to do to the rim to get it tubeless ready? I know you get the rim tape and the valves, but do I have to do the whole rubber rim strip thing or can I just go with the tape? I have the Stan's sealant but nothing else just yet.

I know this may have been brought up before but easier this way...

Thanks

I've just set up a standard Sun Ringle rim to run my tubeless tyres, process was pretty straight forward: 3 layers of insulation tape wound tight, 1 layer of Stan's tubeless rim tape wound tight with about 20cm overlap, cut an x where the valve goes, pop it in, screw it tight by hand, put on the tyre, add sealant and you're good to go.

Closest image I could find the the orange rubber things we put in our bikes as kids. The reason I stopped riding for 15 years. First had the orange rubber "Perma tubes" then the lighter blue foam ones. The foam ones were still heavy.

Sorry , wrong topic

Edited by garrethk

Hi Guys.

Just a question, my LBS did a tubeless conversion on my wife's 26er, now after a month both wheels unseated during a ride so I took it back and they redid the tubeless setup, now on the back wheel no problems but they have been struggling since December to redo the tubless conversion on the front wheel, they can't get it to reseat what might cause a wheel not to reseat and seal properly during a tubeless conversion ?

Edited by benadeja

Hi Guys.

Just a question, my LBS did a tubeless conversion on my wife's 26er, now after a month both wheels unseated during a ride so I took it back and they redid the tubeless setup, now on the back wheel no problems but they have been struggling since December to redo the tubless conversion on the front wheel, they can't get it to reseat what might cause a wheel not to reseat and seal properly during a tubeless conversion ?

what tires?

what rims?

• 1 month later...

Hi Maximis, just a quick follow up. Did your conversion work well?

Did you leave the red (existing) tape on the rim when you applied rim tape?

I have the same Wheelset & I'm planning a tubeless conversion too. Bike shops charge an arm & leg & I'm all out of arms & legs.

Hi Guys.

Check the beading of the tyre...ther may be a kink or something like thta in the beading where it seats to the rim...

Maxxis says one should not use a latex/ammonia based sealant on their tyres. Glycol must be used or else the inside of the tyre will de-laminate. Stan's must therefore not be used at all.

Maxxis says one should not use a latex/ammonia based sealant on their tyres. Glycol must be used or else the inside of the tyre will de-laminate. Stan's must therefore not be used at all.

Thats correct

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/137839-tubeless-sealent-issue/page__st__16

I have written to Mr Gareth the distributor of Maxxis tyres in SA asking exactly what sealants are approved by Maxxis but have had no reply as yet. Methinks Mr Gareth is a touch slack. Perhaps there is a hubber out there who has a list of all the sealants and what they contain?

Stuff white people like... Bhwaaa, what a name for a book.

There's a lot of stuff on the Web on how to do it. But that pic is the funniest.