1x10 problems

NicoBoshoff

Ok well i checked the RD and it seems fine. It's quite tight and not making any noises and movement is smooth. When i manage to get an 8mm Allen key I'll open the clutch in any event to give it some attention.

I then deflated the shiock and compressed in big cog, routed through the rd. there was minimal overlap, but the rd could still move a bit.

So i cut another link, figuring that chances of me bottoming out whilst in biggest cog are zero as I always descend in the small half of my casette.

I'll go an see if i can hit some bumpy trail again and see what happens. Hopefully it's fixed now.

Btw, how tight should a chain be when not under force? Is some flex fine when Pushing down on the chain?

yes some flex is fine..my chain can just about still touch the chainstay..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Save yourself some time with this trial and error. If you running wolftooth then go to their website and see the chainlength instructions. Chain around big ring on cassette and around chainring - Not through RD and 2 links overlap. See picture.

I run my 26er full suspension with a normal XO RD and have not dropped a chain on that (with no clutch RD).

post-35732-0-87382000-1392121109_thumb.jpg

Save yourself some time with this trial and error. If you running wolftooth then go to their website and see the chainlength instructions. Chain around big ring on cassette and around chainring - Not through RD and 2 links overlap. See picture.

I run my 26er full suspension with a normal XO RD and have not dropped a chain on that (with no clutch RD).

post-35732-0-87382000-1392121109_thumb.jpg

Shot. Then, after I removed another link last night it should be fine now. Was at 4 overlap when I started, now at two.

The mechanic also chatted to me saying I should make sure the cable tension is correct and that my hanger isn't slightly bent, since this my cause some "ghosting" on the cassette.

Will try and ride some bumpy stuff soon and check.

I run almost the same set up as you. 30T Wolftooth up front and a 11/42 at back.

Now just ditch your front chain guide....

I run almost the same set up as you. 30T Wolftooth up front and a 11/42 at back.

Now just ditch your front chain guide....

I don't run a chainguide up front. Just the chainstay protector / hangar combo that the Spaz came out with.

Hmmmm...come to think of it, could this hangar be causing some problems? You know, that it causes some friction and therefore "lag" on the clutch function?

Sorry my bad I see it is a bash guard. Surely the 30T is small enough to clear 99% of obstacles unless you doing really radicle mountaineering?

Is this chain stay/protector hanger one of those things the chain has to run through between chainring and RD. I suggest remove it as see what happens. With the Type 2 RD you will not need it.

Sorry my bad I see it is a bash guard. Surely the 30T is small enough to clear 99% of obstacles unless you doing really radicle mountaineering?

Is this chain stay/protector hanger one of those things the chain has to run through between chainring and RD. I suggest remove it as see what happens. With the Type 2 RD you will not need it.

I'm a bit hesitant to drop the bashguard, but will consider. It may be a nice weight saving.

Yes the hangar is exactly that. Will drop it tonight.

Ok went for a ride on Paarl DH and some of the more rootey sections here and *touch wood* the one less link seems to have done the job.

The chain wasn't slapping anymore and no more dropping. Don't want to celebrate too soon as I'm yet to ride really rough terrain with the current aet-up.

Ok some bad news.

Went to Jaco at TBS and he had a look at my bike. Turns out my clutch is FUBAR. Because Spaz bring their bikes out with that integrated chainstay protector / hangar combo, the hangar placed a lot of permanent strain on the derailleur and never allowed the clutch to operate properly.

Jaco is going to try and fix it tonight, otherwise it's a ZEE clutch & XT shifter for me.

Just a bit disappointed at my LBS never actually taking the trouble to check that when they fitted the Wolftooth for me. Jaco picked it up immediately and he wasn't even asked to check for that.

Also iro the ZEE cage story, apparently it's irrelevant on certain pivot systems e.g. FSR because it has no chain growth and therefore you are fine with a short cage. Apparently.

• 1 year later...

Ok some bad news.

Went to Jaco at TBS and he had a look at my bike. Turns out my clutch is FUBAR. Because Spaz bring their bikes out with that integrated chainstay protector / hangar combo, the hangar placed a lot of permanent strain on the derailleur and never allowed the clutch to operate properly.

Jaco is going to try and fix it tonight, otherwise it's a ZEE clutch & XT shifter for me.

Just a bit disappointed at my LBS never actually taking the trouble to check that when they fitted the Wolftooth for me. Jaco picked it up immediately and he wasn't even asked to check for that.

Also iro the ZEE cage story, apparently it's irrelevant on certain pivot systems e.g. FSR because it has no chain growth and therefore you are fine with a short cage. Apparently.

For sure! I'm running a Zee clutch with Saint shifter and it is a dream!

Archived