Rockshox Revelation not getting full travel

Skylark

I'm 100% confident even 15ml won't prevent full travel. (but I may be wrong)

The oil can travel up between the stanchion & the lower leg.

Does anyone know why RS changed to 5ml? (Droo ?)

Bottom line: Will it have any negative effect when there's 15ml in the lower of a nwer RS fork? (revelation to be specific)

I just feel more oil = better lubrication. (up to a certain point that is)

Sorry, got my wires crossed a bit there. Meant 2010, and it's the Recon, Reba and Sid that take 5cc per leg. Those are the most common ones that we get through the shop. The other variants take between 6 and 30cc each side.

I'm not sure why they reduced the oil volumes - it may have something to do with them changing the lubricants. They used to use Torco, and now they use Maxima. It could also have something to do with stanchion coatings and bushings being different between the model years.

I'm also pretty sure that the SID uses less to save 20 grams...

As for putting more oil in, I can't see it being a problem, as long as there's space for the fork to compress. The only thing that may happen is that the excess oil leaks out of the wiper seals, as happens with Maguras.

This has turned out very interestingly.. :whistling:

I checked the damper oil level and it was quite a bit over 10mm above the bottom of the damper so I pulled some oil with a syringe until it was by my calculations approx 10mm above the bottom of the damper.

Let out all the air - now I have full travel, YAY!

Then I pumped up the positive air - now I have 150mm of travel!!

Not 140mm as I previously thought, the guy I bought the bike from a few yrs ago also thought it was a 140mm as well, not sure why I never picked up that it was 150mm.

Well there is probably a reason, if I set the negative air to get anywhere near the positive air pressure I lose 10mm of travel.

Currently to almost get max travel the positive must be minimum 80psi and the negative must be around 40psi, anything more and I lose travel. At 80psi and the negative around 40psi I lose 5mm as the bike stands.

The positive/negative air chambers must be leaking into each other a little bit, probably a service needed?

Edited by Skylark

Ag sh111te!

Now I'm confused, if I measure the exposed stanchion height from the top edge of the lowers I get 150mm.

But RS never made a 150mm in 2009 only a 140mm.

So how exactly do you measure a forks travel?

From the lip of the seal to where the stanchion meets the crown?

Measuring that I get 145mm

Edited by Skylark

Let all the air out and compress until it hits the bumpers. As for the positive/negative pressures, the fork may be a bit sticky due to not having been serviced in a while - try running +5 psi in the negative chamber and compressing the fork - it should settle around the 140mm mark when it returns.

Ag sh111te!

Now I'm confused, if I measure the exposed stanchion height from the top edge of the lowers I get 150mm.

But RS never made a 150mm in 2009 only a 140mm.

So how exactly do you measure a forks travel?

From the lip of the seal to where the stanchion meets the crown?

Measuring that I get 145mm

I have both solo & dual air 150mm revelations.

The solo air measures 155mm from seal to crown's bottom

The dual air measures 147mm from seal to crown's bottom

Thing is with dual air it 'sucks in' the stanchions when the negative chamber pressure is almost the same or more than the positive.

Filling the negative chamber with a tad more than the positive makes it a bit more small bump compliant.

140mm travel should perform very much the same as a 150mm.

It might just need an extra 5psi or so to not bottom out on the same jumps / drops.

Have you dismantled the fork & checked for any travel spacers on the spring side?

I am not sure whether they have actually made longer stanchions from the 140mm to 150mm models.

I guess you can check if the parts list list them as the same part number.

Edited by DubbelBuys

I also get the suck down with negative press approaching the positive, apparently it's not supposed to be like that.

Fork needs service!

If anyone reading this has a 140mm motion control cartridge please pm me!

Now I am confused :blink:

I was always under the impression that it is suppoed to 'suck in' the stanchions. Mine does like only 3mm.

As far as I know RS states when setting up your sag (& neg pressure) that you set the positive first & then without depressing you should equal the negative to the positive. If you filled the neg to the same psi (then without removing your pump) compress the fork a couple of times you'll notice the psi is 'lower' than filled before.

That is because the neg chamber pulls the fork down slightly.

I think if more than like 3mm suck in it can be an indication of oil in the negative air chamber & the neg chamber's air curve is compromised.

Does it squirt out oil when you deflate the neg valve?

That might also hinder you from getting a precise reading of the pressure in the neg chamber

Ive had oil squirt out the negative, that's normal though apparently. 3mm is fine I'd say, mine looses 10mm if I pump them evenly

Edited by Skylark

Man these RS forks are easy to work on, decided to open the dual air side and add some oil to the positive chamber.

Chamber was dry so I added 5ml 80W synthetic gear oil. Didn't seem seem to make much difference, apparently on their newer forks they don't spec any oil in the air chamber just their special grease on the o-ring/piston.

Edited by Skylark

Well the oil seems to have sorted out my sticky air piston, taking much more negative pressure without sucking the fork down.

Checked the negative air side, was no oil in there either so that wasn't affecting the negative air volume and resulting in it needing less pressure to balance the positive pressure as dubbelbuys mentioned might be the case.