New wheel set loosing pressure fast! Advice needed

rckhpr29er

Hi All,

I recently purchased a set of Mavic Crossride wheels from an online retailer with a set of Arisun Mount Graham tubeless tires. The retailer did a tubeless conversion for me and filled the tires with sealant.

Both wheels are now loosing pressure badly, the rear tire barely holds pressure for the duration of a 2 hr mtb ride. The front keeps pressure for about a 2 - 3 days.

I pumped the rear tire at the petrol station then went home and submerged the wheel in a bath. I noticed two distinct leaks, both between the tire and the rim. There is no sealant in the tire.

So,

1. Will the leaks stop if I put sealant (Stans) in the tire before pumping?

2. Is this a problem with the rims or with the tires? The Arisun Mount Graham's are knock-off tires so am a little concerned about their quality. Rims seem fine though.

I may have answered my own question but it would be great if the hubbers could give some advice with regards to the above problem.

Many thanks,

Wes

Hi All,

I recently purchased a set of Mavic Crossride wheels from an online retailer with a set of Arisun Mount Graham tubeless tires. The retailer did a tubeless conversion for me and filled the tires with sealant.

Both wheels are now loosing pressure badly, the rear tire barely holds pressure for the duration of a 2 hr mtb ride. The front keeps pressure for about a 2 - 3 days.

I pumped the rear tire at the petrol station then went home and submerged the wheel in a bath. I noticed two distinct leaks, both between the tire and the rim. There is no sealant in the tire.

So,

1. Will the leaks stop if I put sealant (Stans) in the tire before pumping?

2. Is this a problem with the rims or with the tires? The Arisun Mount Graham's are knock-off tires so am a little concerned about their quality. Rims seem fine though.

I may have answered my own question but it would be great if the hubbers could give some advice with regards to the above problem.

Many thanks,

Wes

You wasted your time by doing this without sealant in the first place.

Put in sealant, pump then go ride

Not familiar with those tyres at all.

Could be that the valves are loose in the rim. And letting air out. Put your wheels under some water and look for bubbles.

Extra Stans will make sure that any small issues between the rim and the tyre are sorted or the tape and the rim get sorted.

Also you need to make sure the tyre is seated properly or it won't work no matter what you do.

Wire bead tyres or foldable tyres.

I think it could be the quality of the tyres but try painting the inside of the tyre with sealant and leave for a few minutes.When you refit the tyres used some soapy water on the rim and tyre.

Why did you take the sealant out?

sealant, sealant, sealant. that's only thing that's going to fix the holes, cant for the life of me figure why a shop would seat the tire and not add sealant to inflate before giving it to you but hey that me.

stans, air ride, as per what chukky said.

Hi All,

I recently purchased a set of Mavic Crossride wheels from an online retailer

Take it back to the bikeshop and tell them to do a proper job and add sealant...

Chop the wheels into bits and stuff them back into the modem?

Guest Latent Blue

Not familiar with those tyres at all.

Could be that the valves are loose in the rim. And letting air out. Put your wheels under some water and look for bubbles.

Extra Stans will make sure that any small issues between the rim and the tyre are sorted or the tape and the rim get sorted.

Also you need to make sure the tyre is seated properly or it won't work no matter what you do.

LOL, I take it you did not read the OP's post...

Edit: I see the OP's question have been resolved. All the best @rckhpr!

Edited by Latent Blue

LOL, I take it you did not read the OP's post...

Edit: I see the OP's question have been resolved. All the best @rckhpr!

Clearly not properly! Oops.

Guest Latent Blue

Clearly not properly! Oops.

He still needed a recap anyway... :thumbup:

Thanks so much for all the input. I should have added that the online retailer did in fact put sealant in the tires but instead of using a compressor to seat them he used a CO2 bomb. I thought it was a bit weird but thought it would work out. When I had a good look at the inside of the wheel I found a lump of sealant, and when I say a lump, I mean like a large rubber mass of sealant. I suspect the CO2 bomb put pay to the sealant there and then. I now have a converter for my presta valve so I can use a garage air pump to seat the tire. So, my pva is as follows.

1. Buy a big ass bottle of stans.

2. Remove any old sealant from each of the wheels.

3. Put stans in both the tires and also paint the area where the tire meets the rim with stans.

4. Run to petrol station and pump both till they seal. Spin and bang the wheels around so the stans gets into all the little nooks and crannies.

After that I should be good to go yes? :clap:

Thanks so much,

Wesley

Thanks so much for all the input. I should have added that the online retailer did in fact put sealant in the tires but instead of using a compressor to seat them he used a CO2 bomb. I thought it was a bit weird but thought it would work out. When I had a good look at the inside of the wheel I found a lump of sealant, and when I say a lump, I mean like a large rubber mass of sealant. I suspect the CO2 bomb put pay to the sealant there and then. I now have a converter for my presta valve so I can use a garage air pump to seat the tire. So, my pva is as follows.

1. Buy a big ass bottle of stans.

2. Remove any old sealant from each of the wheels.

3. Put stans in both the tires and also paint the area where the tire meets the rim with stans.

4. Run to petrol station and pump both till they seal. Spin and bang the wheels around so the stans gets into all the little nooks and crannies.

After that I should be good to go yes? :clap:

Thanks so much,

Wesley

Step 6 would be to ask the Online shop for a credit or refund for the amount he charged you for the conversion, as he should have known that upon contact with the supercooled CO2 the sealant would have solidified...