Rhebokskloof MTB Trail

emme

Hi

Thinking of checking this trail out over the weekend? What can I expect? Anybody been there recently?

I think youtube clip tells you everything,except you can multiply it by 10?..

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If funding is received to extend I would suggest:

- improving start of trail with possible singletrack to climb from carpark to current singletrack;

- addition of a few more intermediate features e.g. Rock gardens, off camber stuff;

- a longer section of "pedal-free" descent as current trail is extremely pedally.

Has a ton of potential, but will have to be a bit more diverse to attract all types.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Does anyone know what is happening with the R50 000 PPA allocation for extension to the existing routes??

:mellow:

Hi

Does anyone know what is happening with the R50 000 PPA allocation for extension to the existing routes??

:mellow:

The Team are at present constructing a new track to the first lookout point located at 2 km on the map.This will change the 2 km marker to approximately a 7 km marker and will change the mostly 2km present uphill slog to more of an adventurous 7km....All the work is taking place on the Western slope of the natural amphiteatre formed by the farm boundaries and contours.If you come for a ride and see any of Focus,Trust,Gunnie or Mishak building the new trail come and say Hi!! - Posted on facebook end of July - I think it is now open.

PM LouisF for more info

• 2 weeks later...

The Team are at present constructing a new track to the first lookout point located at 2 km on the map.This will change the 2 km marker to approximately a 7 km marker and will change the mostly 2km present uphill slog to more of an adventurous 7km....All the work is taking place on the Western slope of the natural amphiteatre formed by the farm boundaries and contours.If you come for a ride and see any of Focus,Trust,Gunnie or Mishak building the new trail come and say Hi!! - Posted on facebook end of July - I think it is now open.

PM LouisF for more info

Hi Louis

Is it open yet?I hear they have a section through a cave on the new route?? :w00t:

2 of us rode this yesterday. Not that impressed.

Loads of Single track, with even more climbing.

Very washed away in certain sections, especially towards the Nature reserve side.

If I am gonna mission from Cape Town I would rather ride Jonkershoek.

2 of us rode this yesterday. Not that impressed.

Loads of Single track, with even more climbing.

Very washed away in certain sections, especially towards the Nature reserve side.

If I am gonna mission from Cape Town I would rather ride Jonkershoek.

There is a new section, (will be marked by the end of this week) offering a much more fun climb to the start of the Chardonnay single track route. Looking at 230m odd climb over +- 18kms.

Hi Louis

Is it open yet?I hear they have a section through a cave on the new route?? :w00t:

Yes, there is a cave! A big surprise when riding it for the first time. New section for the official trail start is great and a nice improvement to the initial climb. Keeps your mind occupied (remember to duck your head in the cave if you're 6 foot plus)

Some new vids of the latest trail build:

Marking should be completed by the 19th of September. Please come ride, need the soft stuff compacted ;]

Here is the latest update from Route Guru, Hans Degenaar:

"The marking of the new up PPA funded route was completed today,Tuesday 16/9/2014.!From the normal start in the parking area just follow the big red arrows which have replaced the little red and blue ones.The distance to lookout point 1 previously was 2 km.At present it is 7km and it now includes 6 new "up" sections of singletrack,incorperating "Cave","Avalanche"and "Dip". The total distance for the short (blue)Chardonnay route is now 12km and the long (red) Shiraz route is now 19km. Please ride it and give your feedback,as there are more to come.."

post-51082-0-63723000-1410943378_thumb.jpg

Rode it on Saturday and the climb makes a lot more sense now. The end of the route has become rather overgrown though but I understand that is next on the menu?

Here is the latest update from Route Guru, Hans Degenaar:

"The marking of the new up PPA funded route was completed today,Tuesday 16/9/2014.!From the normal start in the parking area just follow the big red arrows which have replaced the little red and blue ones.The distance to lookout point 1 previously was 2 km.At present it is 7km and it now includes 6 new "up" sections of singletrack,incorperating "Cave","Avalanche"and "Dip". The total distance for the short (blue)Chardonnay route is now 12km and the long (red) Shiraz route is now 19km. Please ride it and give your feedback,as there are more to come.."

We are riding it this weekend for sure. Cant wait.

I haven't been to Rheboks in an embarrassingly long while and went there yesterday.

Ran into Hans again on the new section, had a lekker chat. The new section is quite loose still and that caught me out badly once - with the drizzle making it look a bit more compacted than it actually was...  :blush: New climb is a great improvement.

Since I haven't been there in a while, I was on a real cruise, not sure what to expect around the next corner and had time to look around and... it is really awesome how they used nature. The trees and rocks form part of the trail and this is really great to see how the worked around that and really made it part of the definition of the trail.

Yes, it's not a smooth and flowing trail, but stunning and I sat there thinking this is such an awesome place to improve skills. It really tests my skills, which admittedly aren't right up there, and gives you a proper workout, even just "taking it easy". 

Next time I'll drop in from the top, though (if that is still allowed) because the roadworks on the stretch to and from town is really making that stretch unpleasant.

Archived