Help with Avid Elixir Brakes

Gearman

Good day. please look at the following things of your brakes.

1) when last did they bleed them

2) dot4-5. what did they use to bleed it with.

3) has the brake done lots of miles

4) are the inner plate that holds the brake bake properly installed

5)does your rotor have blue marks on them.

when doing these checks one will find it was bleeded wrong, contamination or that the calliper has done lots of miles and the pads floats inside the calliper

if you don't come right please visit us at our workshop or go on line to www.cmcservicecentre.co.za and drop us a email with more information .

kind regards

Christopher Candiotes .

Please go check your website.. It's brakes, not breaks..

http://cmcservicecentre.co.za/workshop-menu/

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After de-glazing or pad replacement, remember to bed them in properly. Find a steep hill. Go down like the clappers and brake like crazy with only one brake at a time. Do this 2-3 times with each brake. It does wonders for performance. And no, locking the rear wheel and going OTB is not considered bedding in.

Also have a Giant with the same brakes making a big noise - mostly the rear. Fixed this with a Hope floating rotor.

Thanks to all for the great .. and funny feedback! With all the advice I'm sure to enjoy the silence and stopping power on my next ride!

Replace the standard rotors and take your bike to Darryn at Williams Bike Shop in Somerset west, he does an awesome job of servicing my brakes!

The squeak has got foggol to do with the type of brakes. Rather the pad and disc surfaces. I'd say get some bog roll and alcohol solution or brake cleaner spray, clean the discs and pads, maybe rough the pads up with some sand paper on a flat piece of glass. If the squeak doesn't go away then take some more bog roll and stuff it in your ears. That will help immensely. Remember too that if you spray your bike with any lube keep it away from the brakes. Bye now.

The squeak has got foggol to do with the type of brakes. Rather the pad and disc surfaces. I'd say get some bog roll and alcohol solution or brake cleaner spray, clean the discs and pads, maybe rough the pads up with some sand paper on a flat piece of glass. If the squeak doesn't go away then take some more bog roll and stuff it in your ears. That will help immensely. Remember too that if you spray your bike with any lube keep it away from the brakes. Bye now.

I recall somewher on the site that the source for noisy brakes were traced to the srews on the rotor not being tight...or something like that...so, check your rotor screws!!! will be an easy fix if this was in fact the case...