Spez Hi Lo 142+ hub in pain.

Josh0

Hi Guys

I am one of many lucky Stumpy FSR owners, a 2012 model. The bike kicks ass, but the Hi Lo rear hub sucks bigtime.

It really sounds bad, and I think I should check out the insides before I go riding again. Apparently a bearing overhaul and regrease should do the trick according to this thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/hi-lo-rear-disc-hub-service-replacement-869150.html

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Who else is having the same concerns? I dont know if I should do the overhaul, or should I rather push my LBS to replace the bloody thing.

Thanx all!

This was the first thing I replaced on my Epic with a hope Pro2 EVO and never had any problems again. Costs a bit in the beginning but never had to repair hub in the last three years.

Seems like I will be replacing my hubset with these babies

post-47285-0-29066900-1392623025_thumb.jpg

post-47285-0-55506500-1392623033_thumb.jpg

Kinda looking froward to having a rear hub that sounds like a bee, and not a concrete mixer.

I must agree with you in a big way...

Bought a Stumpjumper HT Carbon Comp this year and after 3 months and and 800KM the rear hub sounded bad, like you said a concrete mixer...

Also keen to replace my hubs, but now need to decide if I need to get a whole new wheel set with hubs or keep the standard rims...

I must agree with you in a big way...

Bought a Stumpjumper HT Carbon Comp this year and after 3 months and and 800KM the rear hub sounded bad, like you said a concrete mixer...

Also keen to replace my hubs, but now need to decide if I need to get a whole new wheel set with hubs or keep the standard rims...

Yeah its crazy, it seems like 90% of these hubs will fail prematurely. I am only going to replace the hubs for now, my Roval Control Trail's are still holding up fine.

I reckon if you have the bucks, replace the complete wheelset. The Comp models could do with better rims I suppose.

I would just replace the bearings in the hub because I can't really see the performance upgrade another hub will give you. It will still be a housing for bearings with eyelets for spokes.

If with new bearings you experience the same problem after a short time proving the sealing is poor replace them but otherwise just keep them.

I would just replace the bearings in the hub because I can't really see the performance upgrade another hub will give you. It will still be a housing for bearings with eyelets for spokes.

If with new bearings you experience the same problem after a short time proving the sealing is poor replace them but otherwise just keep them.

Hi Showtime

I agree with you totally with regards to what a hub is and what it does. The thing is that the Hi Lo rear hub is a crap design, if you look at the rollers inside the free wheel body. My free wheel body has developed a nasty play and the hub sounds really bad.

So instead of me rebuilding the stupid thing every 6 months. I would just rather invest in a proper set of hubs. I don't need a rear hub locking up on me when I am riding trails. it could cause much more damage than what a new hubset will cost.

I will definitely try to replace the rear under warranty, and keep the new one as a spare.

Hi Showtime

I agree with you totally with regards to what a hub is and what it does. The thing is that the Hi Lo rear hub is a crap design, if you look at the rollers inside the free wheel body. My free wheel body has developed a nasty play and the hub sounds really bad.

So instead of me rebuilding the stupid thing every 6 months. I would just rather invest in a proper set of hubs. I don't need a rear hub locking up on me when I am riding trails. it could cause much more damage than what a new hubset will cost.

I will definitely try to replace the rear under warranty, and keep the new one as a spare.

Then I agree on replacing it rather if the quality is suspect. I replaced mine with hopes as part of a complete wheelset change but they didn't give any problems so I wasn't aware of their suspect nature.

Being stranded on a trail or worse during and event is not worth it.