Edge 810 - is the navigation practical?

Bosbrommer

Hi Hubbers,

Thinking of getting an Edge 810. I have a question regarding the routing capabilities of the device. I played around on the Garmin Connect website and tried making a route via some singletrack and jeep track. The connect website deals fine with the jeep track and lays a nice route all along the required roads.

However, as soon as I try putting some singletrack into the route, its as if the website doesn't recognize that there is a trail. It just creates another waypoint on the closes jeep track.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a limitation on the roads that one can use? If this is a "real" limitation then I might just end up getting the edge 510. No point for me if I cant route some nice ass kicking singletrack on a ride! :)

Thanks for viewing!

Once you mapped Rheboks...let us know... :whistling:

Interesting question...

Well, that was kinda the plan! I wanted to route some trails (Paarl + Wellington + Ceres) and then make them available here on thehub. But at this stage it doesn't seem possible? Argh...

Well, that was kinda the plan! I wanted to route some trails (Paarl + Wellington + Ceres) and then make them available here on thehub. But at this stage it doesn't seem possible? Argh...

Just ride your routes and stop playing around with mapmyride ... as I used to keep telling TinyK.

The Garmin (whichever one) will all record your ride much more accurately than you can draw on a map. After your ride, export and upload to any site and make the route available to whoever.

I still dont get why you would want to stare at a little screen, trying to see where you must go, instead of just riding your bike, having fun while exploring and keeping your eyes on the road so you can keep your wheels out of the ditches?

Just ride your routes and stop playing around with mapmyride ... as I used to keep telling TinyK.

The Garmin (whichever one) will all record your ride much more accurately than you can draw on a map. After your ride, export and upload to any site and make the route available to whoever.

I still dont get why you would want to stare at a little screen, trying to see where you must go, instead of just riding your bike, having fun while exploring and keeping your eyes on the road so you can keep your wheels out of the ditches?

Because we paid a lot of money for these fancy toys and we want to do cool stuff on it so that we can feel chuffed with the purchase.

Because we paid a lot of money for these fancy toys and we want to do cool stuff on it so that we can feel chuffed with the purchase.

I have an Edge 800 and I've mostly used the maps to get to the start venue of some forsaken rides.

I've once used my cell phone to navigate me back to VG after I got lost, and found a stretch of tar.

Doubt it will show ditches, hidden tree stimp, mambas & stray lions, etc.

Better to use eyes, ears and common sense for those. Gives you time to unplug from all the electronixs (earphones as well) and enjoy nature!

Off roading is more fun exploring than following purple lines on a screen. On road you should rather not stray into the unknown without prior reconnoitering. Much the same for unmapped MTB trails...

There are much cooler stuff you can do with your fancy toy, I have used mine to record my HR ave, HR max and lets call it HR peak during ... all sorts of aerobic excersise. Nevermind! There are much cooler stuff it can do!

Instead of you following a line on the little screen, you can have your family follow you and your every move using the live tracking via your smartphone!

Smart hey?

Hi Hubbers,

Thinking of getting an Edge 810. I have a question regarding the routing capabilities of the device. I played around on the Garmin Connect website and tried making a route via some singletrack and jeep track. The connect website deals fine with the jeep track and lays a nice route all along the required roads.

However, as soon as I try putting some singletrack into the route, its as if the website doesn't recognize that there is a trail. It just creates another waypoint on the closes jeep track.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a limitation on the roads that one can use? If this is a "real" limitation then I might just end up getting the edge 510. No point for me if I cant route some nice ass kicking singletrack on a ride! :)

Thanks for viewing!

On Garmin connect, untick the box that says "stick to roads" then you can Map the single track. Just use more way points.

A "route" will always reprogramme itself to find the best "route" in terms of your settings. You need to draw a "track" and then follow a "track".

I got the 510, it's got way more options than I'd ever use, I just want to see how far I've gone and upload it to Strava so it's pretty cool.