Chain Elongation

broncoza

Hi all hoping someone out there has an idea on this problem; running a Surly front chainring 32 tooth and a Surly back 16 tooth. Tensioned by an On One. Chain is a KMC BMX chain. Chain line is straight

Ok so here is the problem, rig has probably 1000kms on it, started to make a loud clicking sound when under pressure. At first thought it was BB, checked this no play and also noise comes and goes. Used to only be on climbs, now even if you put in a sprint on the flat.

No noise when spin drivetrain without tension.... Help? Any ideas? Chain worn?

Thanks

Rob

Edited by broncoza

Hi all hoping someone out there has an idea on this problem; running a Surly front chainring 32 tooth and a Surly back 16 tooth. Tensioned by an On One. Chain is a KMC BMX chain. Chain line is straight

Ok so here is the problem, rig has probably 1000kms on it, started to make a loud clicking sound when under pressure. At first thought it was BB, checked this no play and also noise comes and goes. Used to only be on climbs, now even if you put in a sprint on the flat.

No noise when spin drivetrain without tension.... Help? Any ideas? Chain worn?

Thanks

Rob

I had the same issue. I was told the teeth are worn, mine are, badly. I just tension the chain a bit.

Ok stupid question but how do I get more tension into the chainline? Seems no adjustment on the tensioner, do I remove a link?

Ok stupid question but how do I get more tension into the chainline? Seems no adjustment on the tensioner, do I remove a link?

I'm no expert. I did that once and then the chain was to short, to get the pin back in with a chain breaker is a MISSION. Mabey someone else has another idea?

Yes, as tombeej said, chains don't stretch.

This article is very good: sheldonbrown.com/chains.html . It explains why chains get longer when they wear, how to measure this, and how to decide when to replace the chain.

If the chain has warn and elongated too much, the only thing you can do is replace it. To do this less regularly, keep the chain clean and well lubed.

P.S. I'm not sure from the description you have given if it is chain wear, so please measure it before you replace the chain. It may be something with the tensioner.

Edited by GaryvdM

Ok point taken by the last two posts, chain dont stretch. Thanks also for the link to Sheldon Brown's article. Was wondering how to measure wear without Park Tool.Will check wear tomorrow.

Do yourself a favour and go buy a sram 8 spd chain. put it on. R80 or something.

Track chains and bmx chains dont last on SS mtbikes, ive had to swap 3 in the last year. 8 spd is the best to use.

IMO!!

Sounds strange you cant tension it? Do you have a horizontal drop out at the back? If so then adjust the screws backwards

If not, you might have an eccentric BB, then you need to tension the BB with the eccentric arrangement - difficult to explain, but this link may help - pretty generic for all EBB's http://www.adventuretravel.ch/typo3/uploads/media/Anleitung_Kettenjustierung.pdf

I don't use the special tools, make do with what ever leverage tools I get my hands on

I also had this clicking noise, narrowed it down to one of two things: either I was putting too much torque in on the hills (running 36-18 on 29") or the main connecting chain link was catching every few revolutions as it was a little loose

Never had any issues with my SS chain though and elongation, those chains are hardy