Merida big nine xt edition vs big nine 1000 light

Matts 300

Hi

I'm looking to buy a new bike and have narrowed it down to two bikes: The merida big nine XT edition and the merida big nine 1000 light. The XT edition is 900 rand more, but has a better shock on. So the question from my side is: Would you buy the XT which is a bit heavier, but has better specs and shock, or the 1000, which has lower specs and shock, but has a lighter frame.The specs of the two bikes are below:

Merida big nine XT edition:

Specifications

Size [15]-17-19-21-23"

Frame Big Nine TFS-D Single

Color1 black(silver/white)

Fork 32 Float 29 CTD O/C- Evolution 100 Taper

Derailleur Front Shimano Deore XT

Derailleur Rear Shimano Deore XT

Shifter Shimano Deore XT -3 / -10

Brake Lever attached

Brake Shimano M505 180/180 mm

Chainwheel Shimano Deore XT 42-32-24

Bbset attached

Chain KMC X10 10s

Hub Shimano XT

Rim Big Nine Pro D

Freewheel Shimano CS-HG62-10 11-36

Tire Maxxis Crossmark 29er 2.1 fold

Handlebar Merida Pro OS Flat, 660 mm

Handlebar Stem Merida Pro K OS, -17°

Headset FSA BB-410

Seat Post

Merida Pro K SB0, 27.2 mm

Saddle Selle Italia X1

Pedal Shimano M505

Merida big nine 1000 light:

• COLORS silk black, grey, yellow
  • FRAME SIZES 15"17"19"21"23"
  • FRAME NAME Big.Nine Lite BC-D-Single R12
  • FORK Manitou Marvel Comp 29 TS Air 100 taper
  • DERAILLEUR FRONT Shimano SLX HD triple
  • DERAILLEUR REAR Shimano Deore XT Shadow
  • SHIFTER FRONT Shimano SLX ispec
  • SHIFTER REAR Shimano SLX ispec
  • BRAKE LEVER attached
  • BRAKE FRONT Shimano M615 180 mm Disc
  • BRAKE REAR Shimano M615 160 mm Disc
  • CHAINWHEEL Shimano M622 40-30-22
  • CHAINGUARD no
  • BBSET attached
  • CHAIN KMC X10 10s
  • HUB FRONT attached
  • HUB REAR 12 mm Thru axle
  • RIM Mavic CrossRide Disc 29 FQR-R12
  • FREEWHEEL Shimano CS-HG-10 11-36
  • TIRES Maxxis CrossMark 29er 2.1 fold / Maxxis CrossMark 29er 2.1 fold
  • HANDLEBAR STEM Merida Pro K OS -16°AD
  • HANDLEBAR Merida Pro OS 680 Flat
  • HEADSET Big Conoid A-Bearing
  • SEAT POST Merida Pro H SB0 27.2 mm
  • SADDLE ProLogo Kappa Evo
  • PEDAL XC Alloy
  • WEIGHT 11.90 kg

Edited by Matts 300

Can't find it on the website, if I google it, it looks like 12.5 kg. Could that be? I just think the weight difference would not be that great, seeing as the xt parts would be lighter than the slx deore parts, and the fox shock would also be lighter than the manitou shock, so weight would be the same at the end?

I would go with the Lite. Although the fork on the XT Edition is great, there's nothing wrong with the Manitou. XT is a great groupset too, but having said that, SLX is also great. If you planning on racing then go with the Lite. The frame on the Lite is way better in my opinion (and clearly much lighter!). And by the way, I am a Merida dealer....

Can't find it on the website, if I google it, it looks like 12.5 kg. Could that be? I just think the weight difference would not be that great, seeing as the xt parts would be lighter than the slx deore parts, and the fox shock would also be lighter than the manitou shock, so weight would be the same at the end?

Nope. Manitou fork is a good one - sub 1.6kg for that fork of theirs, with their updated damper system. The newer SLX bits on the 1000 lite are actually on par with the XT bits ont eh XT edition, and the brakes on the 1000 are far better than the ones on the XT edition, - old vs new Deore.

I'd go with the Lite. Not only is it the newer frame, but it has the 12mm rear axle vs a regular QR rear, as well as the better rims...

And as others have said - the only reason the Fox is "better" is because of the name. The Manitou is a perfectly good fork, and has more adjustability than the Fox out the box anyway.

1000 Lite is my suggestion

Do you know the weight of the xt edition? Just wish it was easier to chose between the two. But if there is anyone else with some in site, please help!

I have the XT edition and its pretty much bullet proof. Have done some minor changes with Ritchey parts but the most important is to sell the wheels and upgrade to something better. The wheels and cluster are crazy heavy

I have the XT edition and its pretty much bullet proof. Have done some minor changes with Ritchey parts but the most important is to sell the wheels and upgrade to something better. The wheels and cluster are crazy heavy

wouldn't need to upgrade the wheels on the 1000. It's a better package entirely.

• 4 months later...

Howdy Guys, anyone knows who distributes and stocks/ or where I can find a remote lock out for the Manitou Marvel Comp shock on the 1000?

My Google searches only takes me to CRC?

Thanks

PS: I had an entire week to actually look around and 'kick both bikes tires' and Mayhems advise panned out to be absolutely correct :thumbup: . The 1000 is a much better, more current bike (XT edition geometry is based on the 2011-2012 geo with the 1000 on the 2013, just look at the frames) and with the 2015 models around the corner, I negotiated a very good price.

Edited by Ed-Zulu