Lets Talk Torque.

Caerus

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an element of sticktion involved in torqueing things - BUT - the most important think to know on a torque spec is if it is given as oiled or dry.... torqueing something up to a dry spec if it is oiled/lubricated is a sure fire way to break something.... and if you do it in reverse, it will probably loosen itself quite quickly....

I have a table somewhere if someone is interested, I could find it, scan and post it up.

Please do

There is an element of sticktion involved in torqueing things - BUT - the most important think to know on a torque spec is if it is given as oiled or dry.... torqueing something up to a dry spec if it is oiled/lubricated is a sure fire way to break something.... and if you do it in reverse, it will probably loosen itself quite quickly....

I have a table somewhere if someone is interested, I could find it, scan and post it up.

Would threadlock count as lubed or dry?

So now I need to recheck every bolt I've torqued the last 7 years! Eish.

Maybe you should check what the spec torques are first... wet or dry - I think that the bike industry in general is wet specs, there was a section in one of the parktool books on that somewhere - but I can't find it in my blue book... might have been some other place.

Check it.... sometimes they can be wildly out.... even ex factory.

I had a digital snap-on that drifted over time.... got to be out by about 50% - figured that out the hard way - stripped a cylinder head stud in an engine case..... lost about 40 hours of work that had to be repeated...

Said digital snap on died a horrible death.... and it's warrantee replacement was sold instantly...

Check it.

A few months ago I removed the top of my plaasbakkie engine. I had it skimmed and pressure checked. I Checked the torque specs. 88nm. After torquing it, I filled the engine with oil and water. And started the engine. Only to find that the new Payen gasket was leaking from everywhere.

So I phoned the guy who did the skimming and k@kked him out for his poor skimming job. I took the top back. Only for him to show me the top WAS flat :blush:

So it had to be a defective gasket... :blink:

I bought a new gasket and assembled the whole thing again. And torqued it to 88nm. Correct sequence, new bolts and all. And filled it with water and oil again. I stared it up again. Water coming from the sides of the engine. Spluttering.

I then got another torque wrench. Needless to say, the bolts moved another 180 deg. And the problem was solved... :cursing:

Edited by Goodbadugly