Centurion safe mountain bike areas

ycowley

I am in Highveld and normally do a trip down Nellmapius to Botha avenue, take a left and carry on until Groenkloof, do a nice lap in Groenkloof and take Eeufees back to old jhb, all the way to brakfontein, left to Midstream estate, another left just before midstream back to Nellmapius and back home from there. Depending on your route in Groenkloof this route is a nice +- 60km.

If you want to be safe when riding alone you either do this and stay close to the road where you are visible or you go to Groenkloof or Big Red Barn.

I will ride nowhere on my own unless I am fairly visible.

The sad reality is that none of the "nice" riding areas are safe unless you stick to the venues like Groenies or Red Barn.

I stay in Irene, also Botha down to Groenkloof, Klapperkop both tar and dirt then Monument and for intervals Waterkloof and Groenkloof suburbs........cannot get better anywhere than these spots, they cover all aspects of road and tar, living in this area and doing these rides, we are blessed, no danger

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Highveld, and ride with my buddy who lives in Doringkloof. Been doing night rides in the week for about 2 months now, and haven't had any issues on our routes, which are around 20km-22km. We usually head out to Eco Park and back via the various routes.

You can also go do some laps around Zwartkops Raceway after 5pm. You're safe enough out there. They have military guys patrolling the perimeter with guard dogs.

• 6 months later...

Hey everybody,

Seen as packing a car to drive 5km to ride at Big Red Barn is too much hassle, I want to cycle through Midstream on the "new" road.

Anybody else ride this alone, and have there been any issues the last while?

Hey everybody,

Seen as packing a car to drive 5km to ride at Big Red Barn is too much hassle, I want to cycle through Midstream on the "new" road.

Anybody else ride this alone, and have there been any issues the last while?

I live in Midstream and ride the "new" road to BRB often. The roads inside/connecting the estates are as safe as you'll get in SA. It's just that last section over the bridge on the main road that gives me the heebie geebies.

Also ride this regularly. Advice from the estate security is to be careful at the intersection at the bottom and to avoid that section of bush that gives you a short cut to the wooden bridge at brb. Apparently a couple of incidents at the robots of attempted hijacking and they are concerned about shady characters hanging about in the bush. If I ride alone I now use the road to the top entrance of brb, however that bit over the bridge is fecking scary with no yellow lines and some interesting driving going on.

I am also using the new Midstream road, never had an issue. On the other hand, is there any Hubbers(groups) from Midstream that want to do a 50/60km(MTB) on a weekend? I am looking for a group because I don't want to put my bike on the rack and ride with cyclelab, and after the ride strap everything and going back.

best is to ride in a group even if that meands strapping your bike to the rack and driving to many cilly stories I prever safety over comfort - any way the cycle lab group rides are great - have done them a few times nice people

Archived