Hakahana Enduro

HAKAHANA TRAILS

I'm on a cotic soul. To be fair I am running a 150mm fork but my first enduro I rode on a 100mm hardtail with cantilever brakes and I still had a great time. Its not for everyone I'm sure but it certainly grabbed me and showed me the light. I went straight home and sold the 100mm sid that was going on my bike to buy the 150mm sektor (it has a 120mm option which I thought I'd use but the truth is I rarely bother its too much of fun at 150).

Thanks much appreciated im definately looking at entering the Event what kind of kit are you using mx kit goggles Helmet and what gaurds ? And just good skating flat shoes ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks much appreciated im definately looking at entering the Event what kind of kit are you using mx kit goggles Helmet and what gaurds ? And just good skating flat shoes ?

I'm hardly the authority on this sort of thing but I'll tell you what I've done. I started out on Vans skate shoes with saint pedals. Plenty of enduro riders ride clipless pedals but I've never gone that route. I eventually wore out 3 pairs of vans and decided it was time for proper platform shoes so I bought myself some five tens. They are every bit as good as you've heard. I also at some point got tired of the hectic knee roasties I seemed to pick up all the time so I bought some knee guards made by IXS from the trailhead. A helmet that covers the back of your head is a very good idea and after bashing my head on a rock and cracking my helmet I bought one of these more trail oriented helmets. Another thing that made a huge difference was upgrading my tyres. I went from conti MK front and X king rear to WTB Bronsons front and back. The WTBs felt really slow when I first installed them but I very quickly stopped noticing and they really do grip like fury. I have MX goggles but I haven't worn them for a race yet. They're probably the least important of all the stuff in the above list.

A lot of guys wear knee guards. Quite a few don't bother though since they're a bit hot and not strictly essential. As far as body armour goes it varies greatly from the guy who wears nothing more than a vest to the guys with leatt neck braces and shin pads.

I'm hardly the authority on this sort of thing but I'll tell you what I've done. I started out on Vans skate shoes with saint pedals. Plenty of enduro riders ride clipless pedals but I've never gone that route. I eventually wore out 3 pairs of vans and decided it was time for proper platform shoes so I bought myself some five tens. They are every bit as good as you've heard. I also at some point got tired of the hectic knee roasties I seemed to pick up all the time so I bought some knee guards made by IXS from the trailhead. A helmet that covers the back of your head is a very good idea and after bashing my head on a rock and cracking my helmet I bought one of these more trail oriented helmets. Another thing that made a huge difference was upgrading my tyres. I went from conti MK front and X king rear to WTB Bronsons front and back. The WTBs felt really slow when I first installed them but I very quickly stopped noticing and they really do grip like fury. I have MX goggles but I haven't worn them for a race yet. They're probably the least important of all the stuff in the above list.

A lot of guys wear knee guards. Quite a few don't bother though since they're a bit hot and not strictly essential. As far as body armour goes it varies greatly from the guy who wears nothing more than a vest to the guys with leatt neck braces and shin pads.

I appreciate your info very much looking forward to the ride i must say going to just take the first one easy and have some fun

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to try this #enduro thing.

Will it be single speed rigid friendly?

sure....how big is your cajones?

There are b-lines. But I point and laugh when I see someone take them. Note all the girls at the event take the A-lines so you don't want to be "chicked"

Seriously though...huge humor...take any bike and ride it

Edited by rouxtjie

As rouxtjie said, just pitch and ride....but maybe we can make your ride 'a bit more pleasant' and make it a non-rigid? Can your frame handle a suspension fork? What front hub are you running?

I have one or 2 that I might be willing to lend you if you want and if they will fit..

do yourself a flavour. Come check it out this weekend. You may well take Hayley up on her offer... :eek: