Hakahana Enduro

HAKAHANA TRAILS

My Strava didn't work. But we waited for a couple of minutes at the fallen tree so should be much quicker on race day.

Maureen still getting used to her flats so didn't quite pin it as well as she could.

I think you are just slow ;)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good advice!

I think many riders (myself included) try stupid things when the clock is running.

Or even when its not ... think of you and Peach in Morzine 2012!!!

Adrenaline messes with your head properly

Ok but remember too that the B-lines need to be at MAXIMUM 3 to 5 seconds slower than the A-line - anymore and you will be promoting some riders to attempt stuff beyond their capabilities. ... I work on the following for KZNMTB Provincials and Nationals

DH - 2 to 3 seconds

Enduro - 3 to 5 seconds

XC - 10 seconds + as per Nicks guidelines.

Thanks Nige, those are some good guidelines. We will get creative with some tape around the road gap. from what I recall, the current DVD B line is of the order of what you suggest.

I hope there are B-lines around that drop and the rock in the pictures ... as you dont want to scare okes away after just one Gauteng Enduro Event ....

REMEMBER - 50% of the riders who will enter probably CANT jump! ... And a drop off as large as DVD is exceptionally intimidating - Especially seeing as the landing does not evtend right up to the wall face itself! 

See Nolipoli's comment here

nolipoli, on 03 Nov 2014 - 7:36 PM, said:

snapback.png

Johann .... a word of advice from a safety aspect - especially for DVD ... maybe think of installing a wooden landing zone between the wall and the edge of the landing as per my attached image from a trail in France ... this allows the rider to still get air, but they can also just roll off it ... drop me a mail if you want to discuss any ideas

I always try and keep the number of "double" jumps to ZERO as these have the potential to cause some BIG injuries if guys get them wrong. Just by getting a pallet and securing it to the wall this would make it a LOT more rider friendly ...

Also keep the rock roll thing as is - but make sure you have a B-line around it as it may be intimidating for someone doing their first enduro.

The wooden road gap jump you have on SP2??? I think is fine as long as you can ride next to it and just drop off the bank.

--------

Nigel. Thanks mate. Makes complete sense from the safety side. 

Yebo Nige. Thanks for the input.

DVD B-line is about 3 or 4 seconds longer. It is a rollable pallet bridge going over the wall to the right and has much less of a drop before it goes down an old concrete driveway. I changed the way it rejoins the main line to make it flow quicker and safer for guys coming down A-line.

I was working on the B-line of the 'rock roll' which we call Smashing Pumpkins this weekend until I sustained a minor injury. Put it this way, the B-line will now be called Smashing Fingers. :lol: And I reckon will also only be a couple of seconds slower.

Yebo Nige. Thanks for the input.

DVD B-line is about 3 or 4 seconds longer. It is a rollable pallet bridge going over the wall to the right and has much less of a drop before it goes down an old concrete driveway. I changed the way it rejoins the main line to make it flow quicker and safer for guys coming down A-line.

I was working on the B-line of the 'rock roll' which we call Smashing Pumpkins this weekend until I sustained a minor injury. Put it this way, the B-line will now be called Smashing Fingers. :lol: And I reckon will also only be a couple of seconds slower.

Broke a nail hey...

I hope there are B-lines around that drop and the rock in the pictures ... as you dont want to scare okes away after just one Gauteng Enduro Event ....

REMEMBER - 50% of the riders who will enter probably CANT jump! ... And a drop off as large as DVD is exceptionally intimidating - Especially seeing as the landing does not evtend right up to the wall face itself! 

See Nolipoli's comment here

nolipoli, on 03 Nov 2014 - 7:36 PM, said:

snapback.png

Johann .... a word of advice from a safety aspect - especially for DVD ... maybe think of installing a wooden landing zone between the wall and the edge of the landing as per my attached image from a trail in France ... this allows the rider to still get air, but they can also just roll off it ... drop me a mail if you want to discuss any ideas

I always try and keep the number of "double" jumps to ZERO as these have the potential to cause some BIG injuries if guys get them wrong. Just by getting a pallet and securing it to the wall this would make it a LOT more rider friendly ...

Also keep the rock roll thing as is - but make sure you have a B-line around it as it may be intimidating for someone doing their first enduro.

The wooden road gap jump you have on SP2??? I think is fine as long as you can ride next to it and just drop off the bank.

--------

Hi Nigel, I rode off DVD this weekend and you didnt need to much speed to make the landing comfortably. I think connecting the gap between the wall and the landing wont help much if the guys are going to roll that slowly off it? They still going to fall hard! Or are you referring to having something to be able to roll down to the landing?

What are the general rules

Kneepads compulsary?

We'd like to say.... Ride you line, your pace, your skill-level... Any reasonable skilled rider will be able to get down all three stages. Depends how fast you want to go. So take appropriate precautions.. No rules. Only helmets and a bike.

3 categories... 

Men, Woman, Hardtail

Ah Crap so us old 40+ riders have to ride with the kids :) best I start ridding more then. Sounds like this is going to be a cool event cant wait.

Ah Crap so us old 40+ riders have to ride with the kids :) best I start ridding more then. Sounds like this is going to be a cool event cant wait.

If there are more than 5 ballies we might consider a ballies category.

That being said, we are trying to keep things simple. We rather keep it simple and have an awesome event that runs seamlessly and is the most fun possible for everyone than have to much going on leaving the organisers running around like headless chicken with endless problems. :thumbup:

Hi Nigel, I rode off DVD this weekend and you didnt need to much speed to make the landing comfortably. I think connecting the gap between the wall and the landing wont help much if the guys are going to roll that slowly off it? They still going to fall hard! Or are you referring to having something to be able to roll down to the landing?

Hey Hylt ... I sent Johan a mail in this regard ... basically I proposed that they just fill in the "gap" between the current landing and the wall up to a point where you can roll off the wall and just roll down the landing, but with some pace you get air and land further down the landing ....

The issue is a new rider coming up to the drop 1/2 committing but then trying to pull out at last minute and going off the wall ...

Also I spoke to them about the "fall zone" below the landing which needs to be cleared more as there are too many trees and branches there to catch a bar if you get squirly ...

But I have documented this all in a mail to Johan

Its basically to try and keep the trails at IMBA (international Mountain Bike Association) trail standard for safety.  

Archived