Hakahana Enduro

HAKAHANA TRAILS

Hey Hylt ... I sent Johan a mail in this regard ... basically I proposed that they just fill in the "gap" between the current landing and the wall up to a point where you can roll off the wall and just roll down the landing, but with some pace you get air and land further down the landing ....

The issue is a new rider coming up to the drop 1/2 committing but then trying to pull out at last minute and going off the wall ...

Also I spoke to them about the "fall zone" below the landing which needs to be cleared more as there are too many trees and branches there to catch a bar if you get squirly ...

But I have documented this all in a mail to Johan

Its basically to try and keep the trails at IMBA (international Mountain Bike Association) trail standard for safety.  

100 % agree about going off and trying to pull out will end in tears or worse! Hit the nail on the head with the "fall zone", my worry was more about getting sketchy after landing as there wasn't much room for error. But its great to actually have some challenging features up here in JHB for a change! Lets hope we get some more of it!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100 % agree about going off and trying to pull out will end in tears or worse! Hit the nail on the head with the "fall zone", my worry was more about getting sketchy after landing as there wasn't much room for error. But its great to actually have some challenging features up here in JHB for a change! Lets hope we get some more of it!

Exactly. We will continue to develop :thumbup:

You actually did DVD? :huh:  ...did you peeee in your pants? hehehe

Or did my motivation at Thaba just open the doors to your courage again? :P

Hit the nail on the head with the "fall zone", my worry was more about getting sketchy after landing as there wasn't much room for error.

I have been made VERY aware of this from the World Cups ... I mean ... you think how much double taping I had on the World Cup DH track ... all of that specifically for Fall Zone areas ... and those zones needed to be perfectly clear ... not a stick or branch to be seen ... The UCI were VERY pedantic about that ... And i agree ... you get something wrong and land on the spikey remains of a tree that was removed ... OUCH! thats like a dagger - So you make sure that the fall zone is totally clear and any stumps etc are cut down to floor level ... its a lot of work ... but Safety is key in the long term ...

You actually did DVD? :huh:  ...did you peeee in your pants? heheheOr did my motivation at Thaba just open the doors to your courage again? :P

You actually did DVD? :huh:  ...did you peeee in your pants? heheheOr did my motivation at Thaba just open the doors to your courage again? :P

Hahaha I think you caught me on a bad day at Thaba! ;-) I was at DVD and said what would Hayley say if I didnt go off!!! :-) would never hear the end of it!

Hahaha I think you caught me on a bad day at Thaba! ;-) I was at DVD and said what would Hayley say if I didnt go off!!! :-) would never hear the end of it!

Were you the guy with the Santa Cruz?

I am very stocked to see Enduro coming close to home and real riders making an effort on the trails. are there plans for a ride this Sunday? would be very keen to join in on the trails and lend a helping hand on some trail building.

Yes

hey Hilts, see you also on this forum, cool man, very keen to hit the Enduro lines on Sunday and possibly lend a hand in building! looks like I am gonna build up a seriously awesome bike with Mike, going to place a deposit on the frame he has in the shop and start planning all the parts!

cheers John H

I am very stocked to see Enduro coming close to home and real riders making an effort on the trails. are there plans for a ride this Sunday? would be very keen to join in on the trails and lend a helping hand on some trail building.

We will be there this Sunday. Probably ride from about 8:15 - 8:3 0after everyone finishes talking k@k. :lol:

We will be there this Sunday. Probably ride from about 8:15 - 8:3 0after everyone finishes talking k@k. :lol:

Sounds good, see you guys Sunday am, looking forward! cheers!

Sounds good, see you guys Sunday am, looking forward! cheers!

Nice John. Fancy seeing you here ;)

Also keen to join you guys on Sunday to check out the trails before the 29th.

See you all Sunday.

Nice John. Fancy seeing you here ;)

Also keen to join you guys on Sunday to check out the trails before the 29th.

See you all Sunday.

Ya just joined, this is one following I need to be part of. see you Sunday!!

We had a full go at our Enduro trails this week...

1. SP1 (Rinkhals) - climb up now cut and rocks cleared for much easier access. Can ride half of it.

2. SP2 (Peppercorns) - Cleared all 'corns' from the trail and freshly cut from top to bottom. I rode it this afternoon and its truly cool 1,91km/-260m!!!. No pedaling required. Challenging 2km/+160m ride back up to saddle. 

3. SP3 (Sidewinder) - Entire new section has been cut (nice and wide) and all loose rocks removed. Its still a bit "grasbollie' but we want you guys to ride it the next two weekends so a line starts to develop. Despite that its already got great flow and totally transforms this last Stage. Its only going to get better!!!

Archived