Tirreno-Adriatico 12-18 March 2014

Cav'

(or green jersey) come the Grand Tours.

You're forgetting they have Renshaw and Pettachi as lead out men.

They should dominate the final km's

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strong team indeed but they need results. I'm not convinced that they will be in contention for GC (or green jersey) come the Grand Tours.

They're the most successful team by far this year in terms of wins.

Uran and Kwiatkowski for GC.

It'll be important how they manage this duo and which individual will target which Grand Tour.

You're forgetting they have Renshaw and Pettachi as lead out men.

They should dominate the final km's

They're the most successful team by far this year in terms of wins.

Uran and Kwiatkowski for GC.

It'll be important how they manage this duo and which individual will target which Grand Tour.

Pettachi was there last season and I know I'm going to take flak but I'm not convinced that Cav can still do it against the likes of Greipel & Kittel. Both Lotto and Giant have excellent leadouts and don't count out OGE. As for GC I can't see them taking on Sky and other favourites.

Pettachi was there last season and I know I'm going to take flak but I'm not convinced that Cav can still do it against the likes of Greipel & Kittel. Both Lotto and Giant have excellent leadouts and don't count out OGE. As for GC I can't see them taking on Sky and other favourites.

I agree on GC, but not on the sprints..

Only time will tell I guess

I agree on GC, but not on the sprints..

Only time will tell I guess

I can't wait :clap: awesome watching them set up the sprint in the final kms.

No reigning champ Nibs but cool pic anyway

http://inrng.com/medias/images/tirrenoadriaticocontenders2014.jpg

Stage 2 on now

The sheer number of grand tour contenders in the line-up (and the absence of a couple more) may have grabbed the bulk of the headlines ahead of Tirreno-Adriatico, but traditionally, this race is all about preparing for Milan-San Remo. The long, long stages at the weekend - including the 244km haul to Selvarotonda - are an important part of that process, but the sprinters also want a chance to test their legs for the Lungomare Italo Calvino, and the first such opportunity should arise in Cascina this afternoon.

As we pick up the action, a break of five riders is five minutes clear of the peloton. Daniel Teklehaymanot (MTN-Qhubeka), Marco Canola (Bardiani-CSF), Alex Dowsett (Movistar), David De La Cruz (NetApp-Endura) and Davide Malacarne (Europcar) broke clear in the opening two kilometres, and Omega Pharma-QuickStep were more than happy to stamp their day passes and let them go clear.

Mark Cavendish (GBr) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:20:13

2 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team

3 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team

4 Mark Renshaw (Aus) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team

5 Wouter Poels (Ned) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team

6 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:02

7 Tony Martin (Ger) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:03

8 Daryl Impey (RSA) Orica Greenedge 0:00:11

9 Simon Clarke (Aus) Orica Greenedge

10 Luke Durbridge (Aus) Orica Greenedge

Sprinter's finish today

That will doubtless be to the liking of race leader Mark Cavendish, who holds the blue jersey after his Omega Pharma-QuickStep team's dominant ride in yesterday's team time trial. If it all stays together today, Cavendish should retain that lead, but he faces stiff opposition for stage honours, with Andre Greipel (Lotto-Belisol), Marcel Kittel (Giant-Shimano) and Peter Sagan (Cannondale) all in the peloton.

Marco Canola has just led the break over the third and final climb of the day at Lajatico. The Italian had already done the same at Guardistallo and Montecatini, and will take possession of the king of the mountains jersey in Cascina this afternoon. With Omega Pharma-QuickStep, Lotto-Belisol and Giant-Shimano all beginning to marshal their riders on the front, however, that may well be the extent of Canola's bounty on stage 2.

Indeed, as the bunch passes through La Sterza, its deficit to the five leaders is already less than four minutes. The average speed for the first two hours of racing is 38kph, but is bound to ratchet upwards on the flatter second half of the parcours. The stage finishes, by the way, with a 20km finishing circuit around Cascina, meaning that the sprinters will have a chance to get their bearings before the grand finale.

With 70 kilometres still to race, our five escapees - Canola, De La Cruz, Malacarne, Dowsett and Teklehaymanot - maintain a lead of four minutes over the main peloton.

I think Cav' will still contest well and take a few.

I just think the days of 5 stage wins in a Grand Tour is a thing of the past for any of the top sprinters.

Bouhanni, Cav', Kittel, the Gorilla, Sagan and Degenkolb, etc. when there's a slight gradient - the field is wide open now.