Fox CTD, how bad is it really?

Sephton

He doesn't select his fork manufacturer, the Syndicate does. They also have unlimited access to brand new parts for each run if they like or need.

And as Crow said, not much wrong with their coil sprung stuff.

Edited by MTBaaisikilist

The CTD FIT forks are all good, the Evolution series forks and shocks are a mess.

2014 stuff is better, but not great and the shock works well till it needs it first damper service - then it is impossible to repair properly.

Save the money and at minimum buy a RS rear can. If you can, ditch the fork unless its a Factory FIT model....otherwise RS all the way! Either that or buy second hand pre CTD Fox that is in good order - you can service those in the kitchen sink, they are that easy to work on....almost

I'd like some specifics, please...what exactly is going wrong?

He doesn't select his fork manufacturer, the Syndicate does. They also have unlimited access to brand new parts for each run if they like or need.

I see this quite often about sponsored riders and I wonder if those at the top of their game will be dictated to in that manner (some may ...), would they ride something if it really was crap I ask myself?

My 2014 CTD works great on my Anthem and I love it, the 2013 shocks had problems but there is a fix for it, Fox don't even ask questions when a 2013 gets booked in and just install the upgrade seal kit. The Google reviews will scare you but there is as many good as bad reviews, but Fox is a bit high maintenance for me so far. For me I don't want anything else on my bike than Fox.

I see this quite often about sponsored riders and I wonder if those at the top of their game will be dictated to in that manner (some may ...), would they ride something if it really was crap I ask myself?

That's what I ask myself? I have the Fox CTD and have had no issues so far and think it works fine for my level of riding

Fully agreed. I've never ridden or owned a Fox fork/shock I've really liked.

I've owned one I liked absolutely loved. Was a 2010 36 Float RC2. Was strapped to a Mbuzi, but unfortunately it was paired with a DHX in the rear.

ROCKSHOX for the win!!! :clap:

Amen!

The thing is it's quite difficult to buy a new bike without Fox these days, they're specced on almost all the big brands.

My fork is the FIT model so hopefully its not complete rubbish. :wacko:

FIT was better.

Iwan

Making me smile,

making me happy I fitted a RS Revelation RCT3 Solo air (120mm).

G

You've chosen well...

I just built a CTD bike, front and rear.

I must say, the rear is great, everything works extremely well, the CTD feature spends 99% of the time in T, with a little time in the other two.

The fork, I never had an issue, once I set the rebound correctly, the fork was plush with limited bob, and the only grind I had was the C had some bob in, when the air setting was too low.

just my 2c.

Just remember quite a bit on the terrain you ride and how hard you ride. On shorter travel bikes (100mm) suspension plays a limited roll. In terms of application it basically needs to make the ride a bit more forgiving and add some traction and grip. On longer travel bikes, mre so on those ridden HARD, it has to be plush, but not dive. Small bump performance must be excellent, but it mustn't blow through it's travel. Rebound must be somewhere in impossible-land where it rebounds fast enough to give you the LT benefit, but not so fast to blow you off the bike on a bigger drop or jump.

All of those are massive contradictions...none of which a ST bike's suspension needs to deliver.

Greg Minnaar can't be that wrong with his fork selection :whistling:

Wet-dream-music to a marketer's ears! :whistling:

I thing somewhere in the equation, money may have an influence.

But remember, where we talk about off the shelve models, they get top of the line, with all the bells and wissles added.

G

I thing somewhere in the equation, money may have an influence.

Hence my comment 'some may' for that exact reason but I do believe there are some as in life that are above that or are my glasses too rose tinted?

Add in that of all things on a pro bike, the suspension is the furthest removed from what we can buy. And by quite some distance. No one rider in the Syndicate team's fork or shock is even the same

Add in that of all things on a pro bike, the suspension is the furthest removed from what we can buy. And by quite some distance. No one rider in the Syndicate team's fork or shock is even the same

But just as an example would it still be 'CTD' albeit tuned/'blueprinted' or something we don't even know about like 'next generation'?

Hence my comment 'some may' for that exact reason but I do believe there are some as in life that are above that or are my glasses too rose tinted?

I think everybody is in it to win and to do that you need the best. Once you realize you're not going to win against the current crop of top riders you go where the money is. Sad, but true.

Even so, with pro support, your own mechanic and a whole factory pushing for podiums and wins no stone is left unturned. They don't chase durability on the DH WC circuit. It needs to last a weekend at best. They chase performance. This is a world where everything gets stripped down more often than we ride in a whole year.

What works best then gets dummed down to make it last for us pleps.

I think everybody is in it to win and to do that you need the best. Once you realize you're not going to win against the current crop of top riders you go where the money is. Sad, but true.

Even so, with pro support, your own mechanic and a whole factory pushing for podiums and wins no stone is left unturned. They don't chase durability on the DH WC circuit. It needs to last a weekend at best. They chase performance. This is a world where everything gets stripped down more often than we ride in a whole year.

What works best then gets dummed down to make it last for us pleps.

Now that makes perfect sense I guess :thumbup:

Greg Minnaar can't be that wrong with his fork selection :whistling:

He also has a team of mechanics tuning hes stuff for each race, so we are not really comparing apples to apples here.

He also has a team of mechanics tuning hes stuff for each race, so we are not really comparing apples to apples here.

It was also a bit of tongue in cheek :whistling: