Cervelo new P2 or Cannondale Slice.....

SwissVan

Contrary to my initial thoughts about using my Specialized Paris Roubaix for IM switz I've found myself shopping around for a NEW but affordable tri bike.

Main priority is comfort and efficiency, not paranoid about weight and top of the range parts. Deep section wheels will be decided at a later stage (maybe renting).

Looking at a Cervelo new P2 (2014 model) as they are reasonably priced and have pretty decent equip specs. Also tried a Cannondale Slice 3 spec'd with Ultegra

Waiting for an official quote and availability from the dealer but these 2 should be more or less in the same price bracket

New P2 - comes with quite a good parts choice.

Cannoncookie Slice 3 - parts not quite as good as the Cervelo and also not sure about the Vision cranks?

Anyone got some feedback on these 2 bikes?

http://www.cervelo.c...-series/p2.html

post-182-0-08155500-1394704562_thumb.png

post-182-0-88347000-1394704573_thumb.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult choice - they are both great. Will they both fit you properly?

Can't comment on the latest P2, but I currently own a 2011 Slice (the Hi-Mod frame - same frame mold, just the more expensive / lighter carbon lay-up) and I love it. It is easy to maintain (do my own maintenance), super light and aero.

The Slice does however have better components? Ultegra/Vision vs 105/FSA brakes on the P2... Cannondale only use a Vision crank as Shimano refuse to make a BB30 bottom bracket. Would say the Vision crank is probably slightly better than the FSA on the P2.

The Slice frame is however starting to get a little long in the tooth, compared to the new P2 with its new head tube shaping, top-tube internal cable routing, etc. I might be inclined to go with the P2 as it just *looks* more modern, and if I was planning on upgrading components in the longer term.

However, I've decided that I will only upgrade from my Slice when I start beating Chrissie's bike times on her Slice ;)

Difficult choice - they are both great. Will they both fit you properly?

Can't comment on the latest P2, but I currently own a 2011 Slice (the Hi-Mod frame - same frame mold, just the more expensive / lighter carbon lay-up) and I love it. It is easy to maintain (do my own maintenance), super light and aero.

The Slice does however have better components? Ultegra/Vision vs 105/FSA brakes on the P2... Cannondale only use a Vision crank as Shimano refuse to make a BB30 bottom bracket. Would say the Vision crank is probably slightly better than the FSA on the P2.

The Slice frame is however starting to get a little long in the tooth, compared to the new P2 with its new head tube shaping, top-tube internal cable routing, etc. I might be inclined to go with the P2 as it just *looks* more modern, and if I was planning on upgrading components in the longer term.

However, I've decided that I will only upgrade from my Slice when I start beating Chrissie's bike times on her Slice ;)

Yeah difficult...I hate shopping for a bike

Always wanted to own a "Kannoncookie" but the P2 frame is more "up to date".

I tried a few out in the shop (Slice and P3 which is the same frame as new P2) and they don't have my size in stock (was trying some customers bikes... on IDT). The Slice in my size (58 apparently...) will be available in 2 weeks, not sure when the P2 will be available as the importer in switz is apparently not telling the shops much at the moment.

Both are great bikes. The Slice has way better components but I have to agree that the Cervelo frame looks more 2014 in style and to answer your question on the Vision cranks, they are realy good.

I Don't mean to confuse the issue but Fuji have just launched their Norcom Straight range and have two models available in SA. The model closest to the two above is the 2.3 equiped with Sram Rival.

I didn't see that you mentioned pricing. The Fuji retails for R35-36k. And they have a 58cm (57) in stock. :w00t:

I also know of a new 2013 Kestrel 400 Pro with Ultegra in 58 available for about R30k with the 2014 also but moved out to R38k with the Rand @ 11/$

Cheers.

post-24942-0-60781900-1394713026_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fujiman

Both are great bikes. The Slice has way better components but I have to agree that the Cervelo frame looks more 2014 in style and to answer your question on the Vision cranks, they are realy good.

I Don't mean to confuse the issue but Fuji have just launched their Norcom Straight range and have two models available in SA. The model closest to the two above is the 2.3 equiped with Sram Rival.

I didn't see that you mentioned pricing. The Fuji retails for R35-36k.

Thanks for that, nothing like some more options to make life difficult.

Nice looking frame but I see it has an integrated headset? I'd prefer something with a standard headset which should be easier to raise the bar height to a comfortable position for my not so flexible back...

I love my Slice. Fast and comfortable.

The rear chain stays have an hourglass design that absorb shock in the lower back and claim to make you better prepared for the run.

Check out the base bar on both bikes. Profile T2 Wing is so basic and not very aero. Not sure of the Slice standard one. I use a 3T Aura Pro which I really like. (I built the bike from a frame so could choose everything.)

Both frames require proprietary hydration mounts if you want bottles behind the seat.

Five Ironman world championships speaks for itself.

For reference my bike weighs 8.2kg with pedals and bottle cages.

Nice looking frame but I see it has an integrated headset? I'd prefer something with a standard headset which should be easier to raise the bar height to a comfortable position for my not so flexible back...

The integrated headset does move up like any other headset. Obviously this just detracts from the neatness of the headset when fully dropped. But to be honest most of the fittings done on the Norcoms they have been spaced upwards. Go look at www.fitcomesfirst.com if fitting is as important to you as it should be .... you will want to read what they have to say.

Kay, will help you out here. You know you want the Dale :)

Get the Dale. Thread closed.

On second thought, looking at the specs again, for a similar price definitly go with the Cannondale.

11sp Ultegra over 10sp 105 is a no-brainer...

I've been riding a Slice for the last 3 years, I'm respraying the frame after IMSA and I'll be using it for at least another 3 years. It's fast, it fits well, I love it!

However, if I win the Lotto on Saturday, I will be ordering a Slice RS.....

I recently compiled a database of TT bikes and assuming the 2014

P2 has not had a radical change of geometry, those two frames are completely different re Stack vs. Reach - the Cervelo is long and low while the Slice is short and high. Far too much emphasis is put on components etc, and not enough on the correct fit for your body type. This is especially relevant on TT bikes. Yes you can play around with different seat heights and stems etc, but for 180kms if you have long legs and a short torso, the Cannondale will be better, and if you have a long torso, the Cervelo would be better. Pick a frame, and then spec the components afterwards.

On second thought, looking at the specs again, for a similar price definitly go with the Cannondale.

11sp Ultegra over 10sp 105 is a no-brainer...

Good point...did not consider the 10spd vs 11spd.

My current road bike is 10spd and not sure if I want 2 different types of cassettes / chain / wheel options