Stolen Bike - Silverback Detroit

NIK-NAK

Hi all,

On Tuesday evening I met a guy who was wanting to buy my bike. I waited with him until I got an SMS payment notification from FNB. It even came from what looked like an FNB online baking number... Anyway, after the money had still not come through yesterday I went in to the bank only to find that they had no records of the guy who posed as the buyer.

The bike was sold in Cape Town. I really cannot afford to lose this amount of money. Please, if anyone sees a Silverback Detroit out on the road or somewhere please contact me. My number is 0795042638.

I will happily pay a reward of R2000 to anyone who can help me retrieve the bike.

Please see a picture of the bike attached.

post-16502-0-28029400-1394783523_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad luck. Where in Cape Town did you hand over the bike. Did you get the guy's name/ID no at least; if so maybe open case.

Will keep a lookout. Maybe a description of the person will help...

Yoh, not nice! Looks like cash is the only way to go with a sale nowadays. As mentioned above open a theft / fraud case at the local SAP and get in touch with your insurance

Hi guys,

It was advertised both on The Hub and Gumtree. The buyer was a response to Gumtree. I have got the cell phone number... They still answer but as soon as they find out it is me then they hang up... The bike was sold in Claremont but I really do not think that will be relevant... They can take it anywhere. The guy will be on the CCTV cameras at Engen garage. I have a copy of ID but I do not even think it is even real. Feel so frustrated because I personally met with the guy, chatted and he took it right from me :cursing:

It was a black guy, early 20's, around 1,75m tall, and he did not really have an athletic build. Not overweight, but just average. He was probably in it with someone else though. I think he was just used to do the actual deal and was probably paid a nominal amount!

My bike is on Gumtree at the moment and I think cash is only way to go...Will not be accepting EFT's

Hope you get your bike back or that the bugger gets caught..

SUUUUUCKS! Hate to say it Nik-Nak, but you're the victim of a well known method of scamming. Moral of the story - NEVER trust an SMS to your phone when confirming transfer of funds. Always log on to banking yourself, and check the validity of the payment. Even phone up the bank if you want and ask them if there's any pending transfers. There are multiple online bulk SMS providers that have a long looking number from which the SMS originates. All they have to do is register as a user and get someone to do the SMS for them.

Will keep a lookout for sure, but as with everything nowadays (and before, the methods have just changed) be careful.

I remember when my parents bought a stolen car at one of those 2nd hand car meets, at the old PnP hyper in Durban. When they went to transfer it to their name it came up as stolen. They called the guy and said they had cancelled the bank guaranteed cheque (yes, it was that long ago) and told him to come and collect the car. Called the cops and told them to wait around the corner for him to drive off in it... WHAM.

Point being, it's always been there, the theft and fraud. It's just the method that's changed...

My bike is on Gumtree at the moment and I think cash is only way to go...Will not be accepting EFT's

Hope you get your bike back or that the bugger gets caught..

EFT is still cool. As long as you still do the normal checks. IE: Confirm your bank balance, see if it registers as available, and then phone the bank to check if it was a cash deposit / EFT / whatever. Either that, or watch the oke do the transfer in front of you. Actually logging into the bank, putting in all the info and then hitting the send button after receiving the OTP. Then check your account to confirm...

Thanks for the responses guys! Appreciate it... Please just let me know of anything you may hear or see. I have sold SO many things on The Hub and Gumtree and never had an issue before... Probably let my guard down just a little bit and then the bloody bugger got me. Makes me feel sick!!!