Need help in choosing a bike since I'm a beginner...

Robi22

It was mentioned that road bikes are much faster than MTB's and that is VERY true. The main advantage of road bikes (on road) are the more aerodynamic position compared to a MTB and the skinny tires pumped at high pressure which significantly reduce the rolling resistance.

The one disadvantage of a road bike one the road that nobody mentions is the gearing, or lack of it compared to a MTB.

If you use your granny ring or even 36/22 or 38/24 on your 2x10 with a 32 or 34 tooth gear on the back, you are going to finda 53/39 and 23 tooth challenging....

I'm driving past there this Saturday towards Wonderboom, will definitely go and have a look!

. Hi

Can you buy slicks for your 26" mtb wheels? As they are much much fatter than the road wheels?

And where can I buy 2nd hand ones as I am skint

. Hi

Can you buy slicks for your 26" mtb wheels? As they are much much fatter than the road wheels?

And where can I buy 2nd hand ones as I am skint

Yes you can. You will only find them in classifieds. Best to buy new.

Yes you can. You will only find them in classifieds. Best to buy new.

Don't have the money to buy new :-(

I have for a while now been wondering about the actual/measureable difference between road bike and MTB when used on the roads. This came about the fact that I have started using my MTB more and more for road training rides, as it is slightly more comfortable and it just feels as if it is easier on the bike. I mean 100km for a MTB on tar is barely wearing anything out but the knobblies after all.

Having said that, I decided to test the difference for us average riders.

Experiment went as such:

There is a very popular Strava segment in the Cradle, "Kloofzicht to the Caves and back".24km pretty flat.

Week 1: I took out the 7kg road bike and rode it at a hardish pace - 45mins

Week 2: I took out the 11kg Full sus knobblies and did the exact same thing - 49mins.

Both were completely solo, little wind and only a week apart so I did not get stronger in the time lapse.

So in my case it was a 10% difference. so over a 3 hour race that = 18mins.

Now, there is clearly a difference, but I honestly believe that for beginners to average riders who are not going to be riding is fast seeded groups or trying to ride pacelines that the difference is not that huge. The faster your seeding the more important of course.

As another example a guy I know did a 2h35 94.7 ........ on his MTB.

Edited by ArchedBackChinOut

Don't have the money to buy new :-(

Makro or Sportsmans! From R 99 to R 200!

I have for a while now been wondering about the actual/measureable difference between road bike and MTB when used on the roads. This came about the fact that I have started using my MTB more and more for road training rides, as it is slightly more comfortable and it just feels as if it is easier on the bike. I mean 100km for a MTB on tar is barely wearing anything out but the knobblies after all.

Having said that, I decided to test the difference for us average riders.

Experiment went as such:

There is a very popular Strava segment in the Cradle, "Kloofzicht to the Caves and back".24km pretty flat.

Week 1: I took out the 7kg road bike and rode it at a hardish pace - 45mins

Week 2: I took out the 11kg Full sus knobblies and did the exact same thing - 49mins.

Both were completely solo, little wind and only a week apart so I did not get stronger in the time lapse.

So in my case it was a 10% difference. so over a 3 hour race that = 18mins.

Now, there is clearly a difference, but I honestly believe that for beginners to average riders who are not going to be riding is fast seeded groups or trying to ride pacelines that the difference is not that huge. The faster your seeding the more important of course.

As another example a guy I know did a 2h35 94.7 ........ on his MTB.

Interesting, I've never done a comparison, but I think there is more to it... Reason is:

A while ago I was riding my normal road bike and could match my riding partner pedal stroke for pedal stroke. He then bought a TT bike, and suddently I had no chance of riding next to him and for most of the time I had a hard time just to sit in his slip. Realizing the difference, I then put on tri-bars and immediately I was able to ride the same pace without drafting. I reckon that the tri-bars alone made a 2-3 km/hr difference over a 3 hour ride (which is also +- 10%), but that is the aero position only... I would assume that the knoblees and weight would add some additional time...

Maybe someone with a power meter can do a more scientific measurement?

Ok so by the looks of things and the solution to " my situation " is to buy a cheap road bike since I will be doing more on the MTB.

Thank you all so much for the advice!!

I picked up my road bike for 2k here on the hub. A very decent Silverback Arizona. It was my first road bike. I have put almost 3000 km's on it since i bought it about 10months ago. I love it. My point, you dont need a super bike to start with. Get something decent and take it from there..

.Maybe someone with a power meter can do a more scientific measurement?

Have one, will do a comparison over the weekend and post the results. Will however start new topic.

Have one, will do a comparison over the weekend and post the results. Will however start new topic.

cool, looking forward to your feedback!