Mavic Crossmax STs vs. stock Syncros wheels

BrianMTB

Arch EX rims mated to a good hubset ... lots of decent hub choices out and about with all laced together via decent spokes.

Most important part is a decent wheel builder.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arch EX rims mated to a good hubset ... lots of decent hub choices out and about with all laced together via decent spokes.

:nuke: :excl: Most important part is a decent wheel builder. :excl: :nuke:

If I could put flaming beacons around this, I would...

200g will make a big difference in respect of additional rotational weight. Slower acceleration, cornering etc, especially on a 29er.

But I take your point too :-), although at 187cm I can't do too much about it :blush:

200grams in reality makes zero difference. More important to have strong wheels. I was under the impression that the Synchros are sorted. Seems not.

200grams in reality makes zero difference. More important to have strong wheels. I was under the impression that the Synchros are sorted. Seems not.

Ask Martin Hattingh what happened to him (a rather smooth rider with oooodles of riding experience) when he landed a jump more smoothly than a shot of JW Green

Agreed on the 200 grams. I upgraded my standard Roval wheels on my Epic to Crests saving more than 200g and I just cant feel the night and day, feels like a new bike, accelerates like lightning difference people always proclaim.

Yes it's rotating weight and it's unsprung weight but in reality 200g wasn't a game changer for me.

In summary, wheels account for almost 10% of the total power required to race your bike and the dominant factor in wheel performance is aerodynamics. Wheel mass is a second order effect (nearly 10 times less significant) and wheel inertia is a third order effect (nearly 100 times less significant). The best wheels in terms of performance are the ones that are lightweight, aerodynamic, don’t rub brake pads and are strong enough to get you to the finish line. The problem with these high performance wheels, though, is that they sacrifice on the other two key variables important in wheel selection: durability and price. High performance wheels are neither durable nor cheap. Nothing is ever easy, is it?

Ask Martin Hattingh what happened to him (a rather smooth rider with oooodles of riding experience) when he landed a jump more smoothly than a shot of JW Green

Haha, don't know about the intensity of the smoothness (you're being too kind, I'm going to blush! :blush: ), but the short summary - because the thread got lost - is that I had to borrow an auto-box car for 2 months after said incident.

Thanks for the comments everyone, the insights are much appreciated.

Am going to go wth the ST's I think. Weight and durability seem to to be tops :thumbup: . And I really want to experience the warping of space-time over those 2cm drop-offs :clap: :whistling:

Now to get the additional pay-in past the wife... :wacko:

Am going to go wth the ST's I think. Weight and durability seem to to be tops :thumbup: . And I really want to experience the warping of space-time over those 2cm drop-offs :clap: :whistling:

you mean you came here asking questions before checking in with boss!!!!!

I do hope your motivation dies not revolve around "the hubsa said I should upgrade".....But reference to the time warp fa ctor could be the ticket to success

LOL. The warping of space, time, the rim and everything else would be the Syncros's territory! Those things pretzel faster than a new yorker without a taxi.

The ST's are, by all accounts, bulletproof. Mind you, a wet cloth would have more structural rigidity than a Syncros rim, so that's not much of a yardstick to measure by.

Use the possibility of medical bills and / or her having to ferry you around for 2 months after the OEM rims explode in a shower of aluminium (or so they claim) nipples and spokes. It's for her own good that you upgrade, really...

200grams not much loose it on your body,those mavic rims are sick though.One problem with them putting weight limits on the rims like max 95kg or whatever is what happen with your weight when you do a jump?

200grams not much loose it on your body,those mavic rims are sick though.One problem with them putting weight limits on the rims like max 95kg or whatever is what happen with your weight when you do a jump?

They normally sometimes take that into account.

But as said before - those Syncros rims are weaker than a 90 year old on cataflam, sleeping tablets and anti depressants.